We'll give the folks at Death Row this much, they always keep it
interesting, if not real. Now, we don't know if it has anything to do with the
signing of Hammer ("Can't Touch This"), but we couldn't help noticing that the
new Tupac album (released under the alias Makaveli), The Don
Killuminati-the 7 Day Theory , bore a new and improved Death Row logo (not
to mention the regal sword and crown Makaveli Records logo). No, they haven't
gotten rid of the hooded convict in the electric chair, but have added the
cryptic phrase "The New and 'Untouchable'" above the words "Death Row."
"Untouchable?" According to a source at Death Row, "That's our new name."
Oh. Apparently the change was instituted this summer and the new moniker
has graced stationary and business cards for months, although the Makaveli
record is the first bit of product to carry the Ness-like addition. (Of note,
as previously reported, the FBI is reportedly looking into alleged ties between
the label and LA gangs.)
When pressed further as to why the label felt it
necessary to qualify their already ominous appellation, our source candidly
said, "Mr. Knight [Death Row CEO Marion "Suge" Knight] wanted that change."
No problem.
Speaking of Mr. Knight, though, AP
reported...
Speaking of Mr. Knight, though, AP reported earlier
this week that a probation officer recommended that he stay in jail without
bail because "he's a threat to the community and may flee." Knight was jailed
last month for allegedly violating the terms of his probation by failing to
submit to drug tests. The alleged parole violation stems from a 1995 no contest
plea entered by Knight in connection with a 1992 assault charge on two rappers
for which Knight was sentenced to five years' probation. Yesterday morning
(Nov. 7), however, in a Los Angeles courtroom, Knight lost this preliminary
battle when a judge denied bail.
In related news, the Las Vegas Police
Department have hit so many brick walls in their investigation of the fatal
shooting of Tupac Shakur that they have turned to "America's Most Wanted" for
help. Reports surfaced yesterday that investigators, having made little or no
progress in tracking down the white Cadillac that allegedly pulled up alongside
Suge Knight's car and opened fire on September 7, 1996, re-iterated what Lt.
Larry Spinosa told ATN last month, that the Las Vegas PD were hoping by now
"there would be some type of reward that would be offered as an incentive for
someone to come forward but that's not happened and no one has really come
forward since the night of the incident." Spinosa said he hoped that a dramatic
re-enactment on "America's Most Wanted" would convince a witness to come
forward with clues in the still-unsolved fatal shooting.