While we're on the subject of artists neglected by the
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and with the induction dinner coming up on January
17, we thought we'd let you in on six artists that should be inducted in
addition to Joni Mitchell.
1) The Stooges: From the first John Cale
produced album, the Stooges were a force of nature. The first punks? A case can
2) MC5: If the Stooges were first, the MC5 were probably second.
3) Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band: Beefheart drew from Howlin' Wolf,
Ornette Coleman and the surrealists to create an entirely original rock 'n'
roll. One of his many masterpieces: Trout Mask Replica. More important
than anyone being nominated this year with the exception of the Velvets.
Billy Lee Riley and the Little Green Men: "Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll." 'Nuff
5) Lovin' Spoonful: Led by John Sebastian, they created a style of
good time music--"Day Dream," "Do You Believe In Magic"--that was simply
6) Flamin' Groovies: "Slow Death," "Shake Some Action," "You
Tore Me Down." Forever carrying the torch of real rock 'n' roll.