You may know British singer/songwriter James Arthur as the man responsible for making you ugly-cry to his emotional hit song "Say You Won’t Let Go." But while the UK "The X Factor" season nine winner has received acclaim across the pond, he's just beginning to make his name known Stateside. So, we've rounded up 10 things you might not know about him.
1. He Has Been Homeless In The Past And Spent Time In Foster Care
This past experience is what inspires a lot of his music and allows him to connect with fans who may be going through a hard time.
2. He Didn’t Make The Cut The First Time He Tried Out For "The X Factor"
I know, we’re shocked too. Second time’s the charm!
3. Then, He Almost Got Eliminated Once He Did Make It On The Show
The judges were torn, but fans at home voted to save him. We got your back, James!
4. “Say You Won’t Let Go” Is His First Big Hit In The U.S.
Released in September 2016, the single peaked at no. 11 on the Billboard Hot 100, James Arthur has completely wooed us Americans.
5. He Has His Initials Tattooed Behind His Ear
It looks so cool on him — is it weird if we get matching ones?
6. Out Of All The People He Admires, His Sisters Top His List
James Arthur once said at a performance, “My sisters are the most important people in my life, they’re everything to me.”
7. His Favorite Pizza Topping Is Extra Cheese
A classic choice.
8. He’s A Big Fan Of Boxing
You can often find him scrolling through UFC stats on his phone 👊
9. His Favorite Emoji Is The Eye Roll Emoji
10. He Loves Old School R&B
It doesn’t get any better.
Be sure to tune in to the VMAs Sunday August 27 to watch James Arthur’s Special Performance. And don’t miss him as he stops by the VMA Fan Cam Live on MTV's Facebook. All thanks to Extra® Gum.