Getty Images

Manchester Police Arrest Suspects After Explosion At Ariana Grande Concert

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack

UPDATE (5/25/17, 8:48 a.m. ET): A total of eight suspects have taken into custody in connection with the attack. An additional woman was arrested and then released without charge.

“The arrests we have made are significant and initial searches of premises have revealed items that we believe are very important to the investigation,” Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said.

UPDATE (5/24/17, 3:58 p.m. ET): A fifth person has been arrested in connection with the ongoing investigation after he was seen carrying a suspicious package.

UPDATE (5/24/17, 10:48 a.m. ET): Greater Manchester Police are investigating a suspected terror cell across the city in connection with the attack. Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said it was “very clear that this is a network that we are investigating and it continues at pace and there’s extensive investigations going on and activity taking place across Greater Manchester.”

A police statement indicated that four people in total have been taken into custody.

UPDATE (5/24/17, 8:53 a.m. ET): Police said three men have been arrested in connection with the attack on Manchester Arena.

UPDATE (5/23/17, 12:33 p.m. ET): Police have identified the man suspected of carrying out the suicide attack as Salman Ramadan Abedi, 22, who lived in the Fallowfield suburb of Manchester.

Police have taken a suspect into custody after an explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester killed 22 people on Monday night (May 22).

The Greater Manchester Police confirmed Tuesday (May 23) that they had arrested a 23-year-old man in south Manchester in conjunction with the attack at Manchester Arena.

The identity of the suspect is currently unknown. Police also said they believed the attack was carried out by a single bomber who died in the explosion.

Police have carried out warrants in Manchester's Whalley Range and the nearby suburb of Fallowfield, where a controlled explosion was performed, as part of their investigation.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, the Associated Press reports.

A second arrest at a nearby shopping center was believed to be unrelated to the attack.