[caption id="attachment_168235" align="alignleft" width="300"] Lucasfilm[/caption]
As we all know, the King of Mystery (trademark pending) J.J. Abrams is taking over the "Star Wars" franchise with the as-yet-untitled "Star Wars: Episode VII," which should begin shooting sometime in early 2014, for a 2015 release. And, even though Abrams would probably like to cast it with ghosts or time traveling shape shifters so nobody will know who's actually in the movie or what it's about, it's going to need an actual, human cast. And one website, Bleeding Cool, claims to have obtained the casting breakdown.
(We should probably pause so everyone can find the biggest grain of salt they can get their hands on, and take it. Remember the plot synopsis that leaked not that long ago that turned out to be phony baloney? Could be the same thing here.)
Without further ado, here's who Disney, Lucasfilm, and Abrams are looking for in "Star Wars: Episode VII:"
- Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.
- Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
- A late twenty-something male, fit, handsome and confident.
- Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’t need to be particularly fit.
- A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
- Forty something male, fit, military type.
- Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
Have you ever seen the word "fit
" used more in your life? While it's hard to speculate who these characters are supposed to play, especially in the "Star Wars" universe when one or all of them could be playing motion capture robots
, but the idea of a new "Star Wars" movie being anchored by a young girl is pretty fascinating. It's also right up Abrams' alley, having created the television series "Felicity" and "Alias" and casting strong female characters in things like "Lost" and his short lived "Undercovers." It also looks like they may be trying to replicate the Obi-Wan and Han Solo roles, with the 70-something male and the "military type" male. Of course, it remains to be seen if any of this is true, so don't hold your breath (you'll probably just turn blue and fall over anyway).