Be careful: reading this information could result in a visit from an undercover government agency and a quick memory-wipe courtesy of a red flashy...thing.
According to the L.A. Times, "Men in Black III" has extended their production hiatus due to continuing issues with the script. The movie had been shooting in New York City since November (after being delayed a month) and was scheduled to take a break until the middle of February due to weather concerns. Now, it seems, the start has been pushed until March 28, and questions of the film's quality are being raised.
That's not good.
The film is essentially two parts: a series of present day events, which stars Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones filmed this winter, and a time traveling portion that would take Smith's J back to 1969 where he'd meet the younger version of Jones' K, played by Josh Brolin. Producers say they're holding off for the perfect chunk of time to shoot the '69 version. The L.A. Times doesn't think so.
Everyone and their brother has had their hands on this script, including David Koepp ("Jurassic Park," "Spider-Man"), Etan Cohen ("Tropic Thunder") and now Jeff Nathanson ("Catch Me If You Can," "Rush Hour 3"). The idea is that Nathanson will be able to get the script in shooting order by the new start date.
"Men in Black III" is directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, who helmed the original two installments. The film is already slated for May 25, 2012. If they intend on hitting that date, shooting will have to resume soon.
That would make Josh Brolin happy, who continues to be told that "MIB III" is on the brink of picking up: "It’s one of those things where they say, 'OK, I’m going to go in a week' and then they say, 'Actually, it’s going to be two weeks.' OK, that’s all right. And then they go, 'OK, it’s going to be three,' " he said. "I mean, come on already."