UPDATE: Nicole Scherzinger confirmed to E! Online that she starts rehearsals for "Men in Black 3" next week and shooting will begin in December. The Pussycat Dolls singer describes her character, named Lilly, as "a small villain role."
Rumor Control here to clear up a thing or two in relation to "Men in Black 3."
We at Rumor Control feel this is necessary, as no one seems to know what's real, what could be real and what will never be real in a million years when it comes to the cast of the next "Men in Black" adventure.
Ready? Here we go...
WHAT IS REAL:
• Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones will be reprising their roles as Agents J and K, respectively. If you could see the paychecks they're getting, you'd know they'd be fools not to.
• Josh Brolin will be playing a younger version of Agent K (the film's plot involves time traveling back to 1969). Brolin and Jones starred together in "No Country For Old Men," and now they're playing the same person. It was probably inevitable.
• Jemaine Clement of "Flight of the Conchords" will be playing the film's villain. Whether said baddie will have a New Zealand accent and/or musical abilities is unknown at this time.
• As reported by Bloody Disgusting, Betty White will be making a cameo as the mother of one of the characters. Our bet is that it's Agent K, which means there will probably be amusing scenes between her and Brolin, most likely full of bickering and embarrassment and perhaps references to her sex life that Agent K never wants to hear.
WHAT COULD BE REAL:
• Emma Thompson is in negotiations to play Agent O. Some sources say Agent O is the head of the modern-day MiB, others say she's a half-crazy agent that's gone rogue. We're leaning toward that first one, because...
• We don't think Rip Torn is coming back as Zed. And if that's true, the MiB needs a new boss.
• Alec Baldwin is in negotiations to play the head of the 1969 incarnation of the MiB. The "30 Rock"er automatically makes anything great, so this would be awesome.
• Gemma Arterton is in negotiations to play an MiB secretary circa '69. Gemma rules. And she's hot. And she deserves another shot at a summer blockbuster after "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" didn't really work out.
• In what would be a brilliant bit of meta-casting if it came to pass, Sharlto Copley of "District 9" has been approached to play what is described as "a fast-talking Yoda-type alien." Of course he has. Sony, please make this happen, no matter what.
• Nicole Scherzinger, lead singer of the Pussycat Dolls, has been offered the role of "Devil Girl." Your guess is as good as ours.
Got all that?
We were going to offer a list of "What Will Never Be Real," but one thing this movie doesn't need is more casting rumors, so we'll hold our tongues lest we be misinterpreted.
"Men in Black 3" opens May 25, 2012.
(Originally published on Oct. 14, 2010 at 9:59 p.m. ET)