The title of Karen O's cover of country singer (and Johnny Knoxville's cousin) Roger Alan Wade's song on the "Jackass 3D" soundtrack pretty much says it all: "If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough."
Knoxville, Bam Margera, Steve-O and the other fearless warriors return to the screen for the first time since 2006's "Jackass Number Two" and ensure that the accompanying soundtrack is as diverse as the film's myriad stunts and pranks.
The album opens on a high-art note with Squeak E. Clean, composer and brother of "Jackass" co-creator Spike Jonze, orchestrating "Corona (Jackass Opera Mix)," a classical instrumental piece that's both playful and operatic.
From there, though, country, punk and hardcore figure prominently, the latter two genres no surprise for those familiar with the creators' skateboarding past. Songs by punk bands Cock Sparrer, Smut Peddlers, Gang Green and Sassafras -- the latter's "Been Blown to Shreds" could be another "Jackass" mantra -- act as the perfect aural accompaniment to genital destruction and spontaneous internal injury.
Perhaps anticipating that their audience would expect only hard rock genres, country artists such as Melanie and Roger Miller settle in nicely against the traditional rhythm of blues of The Blasters "I'm Shakin'" to turn the album into more than just a punk compilation. And any album with a traditional country song entitled "Party in My Pants" is at least worth a listen.
Just leave the nut shots to the professionals.
1. Squeak E. Clean – "Corona [Jackass Opera Mix]"
2. Twisted Sister – "The Kids Are Back"
3. Karen O - "If You're Gonna Be Dumb, You Gotta Be Tough"
4. Weezer – "Memories"
5. Roger Alan Wade – "Party In My Pants"
6. Smut Peddlers – "Invisible Man"
7. The Blasters – "I'm Shakin'"
8. Cock Sparrer – "I Got Your Number"
9. Roger Miller – "You Can't Roller Skate In a Buffalo Herd"
10. Sassafras – "Been Blown To Shreds"
11. Melanie – "Brand New Key"
12. Gang Green – "Alcohol"
13. CKY - "Afterworld"