As you may recall, there was a widespread debate online over whether fans should see the big budget adaptation of the classic sci-fi novel "Ender's Game" and thereby potentially support controversial author Orson Scott Card. Well, the debate is apparently over, because despite calls from many to boycott the film, "Ender's Game" easily took the top spot at the box office this weekend, earning $27.5 million in its debut.
While not great, that figure was enough to boost it past returning champion "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa" - which still posted a strong hold with $20.5 million - as well as the new comedy
"The Hangover 4: Old People" "Last Vegas," which rode its star power to a decent $16.5 million debut.
Fourth place was claimed by the new animated kiddie flick "Free Birds," which brought in $16.2 million, or about a third of what it would have if it had been called "Angry Birds" instead. And Oscar frontrunner "12 Years a Slave" continued to creep up the charts, expanding into 410 theaters for a total of $4.6 million, moving it into seventh place.
Of course, the charts are about to get a major overhaul on Friday in the form of a magic hammer to the face, as "Thor: The Dark World" dragged in a robust $109.4 million in its international debut this weekend. So the current crop of movies best make hay while the sun shines. But for now, here's this weekend's top ten, courtesy of Hollywood.com:
1. "Ender's Game" - $27.5m (our review)
2. "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa" - $20.5m
3. "Last Vegas" - $16.5m (our review)
4. "Free Birds" - $16.2m (our review)
5. "Gravity" - $13.1m (our review)
6. "Captain Phillips" - $8.5m (our review)
7. "12 Years a Slave" - $4.6m (our review)
8. "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" - $4.2m (our review)
9. "Carrie" - $3.4m (our review)
10. "The Counselor" - $3.3m (our review)