It was a closely fought affair, but when the dust settled this weekend at the box office, Fede Alvarez's remake of the classic Sam Raimi horror film "Evil Dead" ended up killing the competition with an estimated haul of $26 million.
How big of a win is this for "Evil Dead?" Considering the movie only cost a reported $17 million to make, "Evil Dead" has already turned a tidy profit in just three days of release. That despite the fact that the film unexpectedly experienced a drop off in business as the weekend went on due to poor word of mouth (it earned only a C+ Cinemascore rating), no doubt spread in part by viewers who walked out of the monumentally gory frightfest.
We're guessing Raimi and company are perfectly happy with this result, though, as are the folks at Paramount after last weekend's champion, "G.I. Joe: Retaliation," stayed strong with $21.1 million. That also happens to be the same amount earned by the animated hit "The Croods 3D," while "Jurassic Park 3D" brought in $18.2 million in its 20th anniversary re-release. Not bad for a film that has been airing around the clock on basic cable for years.
It should be interesting to see how the order shakes up this coming weekend, with the hoary genre parody "Scary Movie 5" and the baseball drama "42" being the only new wide releases. Neither appear to be locks for a big opening, meaning it could be anybody's game given how even this weekend's numbers were.
Here's a look at the full weekend box office, courtesy of Hollywood.com:
1. "Evil Dead" - $26m (our review)
2. (tie) "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" - $21.1m
2. (tie) “The Croods” – $21.1m (our review)
4. "Jurassic Park 3D" - $18.2m (our review)
5. “Olympus Has Fallen” – $10m (our review)
6. "Tyler Perry's Temptation" - $10m (our review)
7. “Oz the Great and Powerful” – $8.2m (our review)
8. "The Host" - $5.2m (our review)
9. “The Call” – $3.5m (our review)
10. “Admission” – $2.1m (our review)