Jessica Chastain pulled off an unusual feat this weekend, as her brand new horror film "Mama" took the top spot at the box office just one week after her previous film, "Zero Dark Thirty," also topped the box office charts.
"Mama," which features Chastain and "Game of Thrones" star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as a couple who take in some feral children and their evil, invisible guardian, brought in an surprisingly strong $28.1 million. That was more than enough to beat out "Zero Dark Thirty," which still earned an impressive $17.6 million for a second place finish.
Considering Chastain also just won a Golden Globe last weekend for Best Actress in a Motion Picture Drama (for "Zero Dark Thirty," not "Mama," we should add), it's safe to say that the Oscar favorite has officially joined the A-list.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, on the other hand, who was once as A-list as they come, fell flat on his muscled face this weekend, as his comeback vehicle, "The Last Stand," bombed out with a paltry $6.3 million over its debut weekend. That put the film well behind fellow newcomer "Broken City," which also disappointed with only $9 million despite the presence of both Mark Wahlberg and noted singer Russell Crowe, and "Silver Linings Playbook," which rose from tenth to third thanks to wider release and a Golden Globes bump.
Our suggestion for Arnold? Next time, have Jessica Chastain co-star.
Here's a look at the full box office top ten, courtesy of Hollywood.com:
1. "Mama" - $28.1m (our review)
2. "Zero Dark Thirty" - $17.6m (our review)
3. "Silver Linings Playbook" - $11.4m (our review)
4. "Gangster Squad" - $9.1m (our review)
5. "Broken City" - $9m (our review)
6. "A Haunted House" - $8.3m (our review)
7. "Django Unchained" - $8.2m (our review)
8. "Les Misérables" - $7.8m (our review)
9. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - $6.4m (our review)
10. 'The Last Stand" - $6.3m (our review)