Three little words ... that's all it takes from Ryan to unite him and Taylor for the next four years at Berkeley. Love and school ... a theme that Bloc Party's album (A Weekend in the City, released this week) touches on with their song "I Still Remember," which recounts what could have been:
And our love could have soared
Over playgrounds and rooftops
Every park bench screams your name
I kept your tie
The twist here, of course, is that the fleeting encounter is between two school boys, a storyline that's still fringe territory here in the states. The song might be their best chance at a hit here in the US (see video), and it will be interesting to see how it translates. Elsewhere, Rogue Wave sucks the life out of the classic Pixies' "Debaser," making it palatable for Taylor's birthday party, and Damien Jurado solemly asks, "would you change your last name to mine?" on the song "What Were the Chances."
Back to themes: throughout the episode there is a constant reminder of impending doom. In response to the constant predictions of an earthquake, Taylor and Summer tempt fate by wishing that "the big one" would just happen already, and Seth and Summer go to an art/film exhibit featuring a plethora of reminders that little by little, the earth is being destroyed.
Seth: "Let's go rent An Inconvenient Truth, I want to count how many times Al Gore looks solemnly out of an airplane window."
Summer: "Do not make fun of Al Gore!"
And when the real earthquake hits, it makes Grey's Anatomy's little ferry incident look like a shriner parade. Only two episodes left, in which it looks like they'll at least need to deal with the quake's aftermath. I can guarantee you I'll work 'aftershock' into next week's post.
Playlist: The O.C. - Episode 414
1. "I Still Remember" - Bloc Party - Taylor and Summer discuss Taylor's birthday and college plans while shopping
2. "Broken In All The Right Places" - i am jen - Summer visits Ryan at work to talk to him about Taylor's birthday
3. "Debaser" - Rogue Wave - Taylor's birthday party, when she first arrives
4. "What Were The Chances" - Damien Jurado - Taylor's birthday cake is presented
5. "The Sad Song" - Fredo Viola - The end of the episode as night falls on Newport
Previously: Combien de temps? (Episode 4.13)