Getty Images

Ice Cube Responds To Oscars’ ‘Straight Outta Compton’ Snub

Cube says he isn't surprised.

Many fans were upset that the blockbuster N.W.A biopic "Straight Outta Compton" wasn't nominated for multiple Oscars when the nominees were announced Thursday morning (jan. 14), but Ice Cube wasn't one of them.

"I'm not pissed," he told Wendy Williams in an interview today. "I'm not surprised. It's the Oscars -- they do what they do. The people loved the movie. The people supported the movie. Number one at the box office, over $200 million worldwide, you know? I can't be mad."

Although "Compton" was snubbed by the Oscars (except in the Best Original Screenplay category), N.W.A has been recognized by others since the film was released. Last month, for instance, they were selected for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. While that’s considered a major honor, Cube said he would have been fine without that, too.

"It is nice to be recognized, but N.W.A was anti-establishment, so we’re used to people trying to dismiss what we gotta say," he explained. "We’re used to the industry looking down on us. We were the black sheep of the industry. ... If we did not get nominated, that would be familiar territory."

The critically acclaimed "Straight Outta Compton" was a box-office smash, taking in $134.1 million in its first three weeks alone. Many were hoping the Universal film would be up for Best Picture. The Oscars have also garnered criticism this year for a "a nearly all-white nominees' list."

Despite all of this, it looks like Cube isn't "worried" about the snub at all. The AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted MC's latest film, "Ride Along 2," is set to hit theaters Friday.