This past weekend, the annual Pitchfork Music Festival was held in Chicago and brought together an impressively wide array of acts including R. Kelly, Björk, Belle & Sebastian, the Breeders, M.I.A., Lil B, Solange, and a lot more. True to festival tradition, the weather offered something to talk about: Björk’s set ended early due to lightning, Belle & Sebastian played through heavy rain, and R. Kelly’s set ignited a light drizzle. The crowd and performers persevered nonetheless. Hive photographer Chris Kitahara was on the scene and here’s 23 best sights and sounds from the weekend.
1. Pitchfork’s design site Nothing Major’s glampy pop-up shop.
2. Frankie Rose showed off new songs and new hair and both were good.
3. Mac DeMarco covered Eric Clapton's “Cocaine," perhaps while on cocaine.
4. Joanna Newsom held a magical storytime hour and revealed her superhuman lungs, letting out a massive 10 lines without inhaling once.
5. This guy's excellent climbing skills.
6. Björk’s lightning rod outfit naturally brought on a storm.
7. Afternoon mosh-pits at White Lung
8. Free manicures!
9. A serious commitment to the floral trend.
10. Adorable headphone babies.
11. Adorable teen seapunks.
12. Black fanny packs pair great with orange.
13. Julia Holter's J.Crew saxophonist.
14. Ryan Hemsworth got bros in technicolor muscle tees to lose their mind.
15. Savages staying true to their to allegiance to the color black, even in 90-degree heat.
16. Solange really wants you to grind.
17. Belle & Sebastian powering through the rain
18. Sky Ferreira got emotional during “Ghost” and broke out in tears. “So that was really embarrassing,” she said after. “Everything just became a lot more real.”
19. Lil B brought his posivibes to the festival and got the crowd and even the rubberneckers to chant “I love life.”
20. Google Glass IRL
21. M.I.A.’s neon filigree stage set
22. The Cosby Sweater Project
23. R. Kelly.