Welcome to MTV Geek’s daily round-up of all things GEEK from the weird, wild world of the web! Got a cool link? Share it with us on Twitter at twitter.com/mtvgeek!
Today is March 14. Also known as 3/14. Also known as PI DAY! Pi is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter and is an irrational number, which means it cannot be described as a simple fraction, it goes on forever, like this:
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286 208998628034825342117067982148086513282306647093844609550582231725359408128481 117450284102701938521105559644622948954930381964428810975665933446128475648233 786783165271201909145648566923460348610454326648213393607260249141273724587006 60631558817488152092096282925409171536436789259036001133053054…
You get the idea. So here’s a bunch of stuff that I found on the Internet about pi.
– PI PIE Delicious and educational.
– FALLING PI! The first 100 digits of Pi going down as dominos!
– MAGNUM PI! Kinda perfect, right?
– COMPUTERS HATE PI! Pi is an irrational number, says Mr. Spock.
– CUTIE PI! This kid is smarter than you.
– WRONG! Don’t feel bad if you don’t get Pi, it’s totally wrong.
– SECRET CODES! Are Shakespeare’s plays hidden in Pi?
– SUPER SPEED! This guy recites 623 digits of Pi quickly.
PI AT PI David Letterman speaks with math savant Daniel Tammet and learns about “Pi Day” at around 3 minutes and 14 seconds in this video.
– DRILL A HOLE IN YOUR HEAD! The trailer for Darren Aronofsky’s “Pi.” I wanted to post the drill scene, but that’s a bit brutal for a Thursday morning.
’Til tomorrow, gang!