“Batman: The Dark Knight Returns” returns yet again as Warner Brothers announces the DVD and Blu-ray release date and casting details for the second half of the adaptation of the Frank Miller classic.
It’s got Conan O’Brien!
O’Brien, who plays David Letterman stand-in Dave Endochrine, is joined by “LOST” star Michael Emerson and “Human Target” actor Mark Valley who’ll be playing the the Joker and Superman respectively. If you caught the first half of the story, it ended with the catatonic, institutionalized Joker showing the first stirrings of consciousness as Batman makes his dramatic return to the streets of Gotham.
I have to admit to being really impressed with the first half of the story and how well director Jay Olivia and company were able to shape the Miller’s story with a natural break in between both parts of the plot.
Warner Brothers also sent over the disc specs for the late January release:
• Standard and high definition versions of the feature film
• Sneak Peek at Superman: Unbound, the next DC Universe Animated Original Movie
• Featurette – “The Joker: Laughing in the Face of Death” – An all-new featurette. A fitting tribute to the Joker, giving perspective as to why this engrossing character is the true arch nemesis of Batman.
• Documentary – “Superman vs. Batman: When Heroes Collide” – An all-new documentary. Batman and Superman have a long history of
friendship and conflict. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns brought an end to that conflict. This is the story behind that battle.
• Featurette – “From Sketch to Screen” – An all-new featurette. Director Jay Oliva gives a fascinating animatic breakdown of five of his favorite moments from Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.
• Look Back – Sneak Peek at Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 1
• Two bonus episodes from Batman: The Animated Series (“The Last Laugh” and “The Man Who Killed Batman”) and an episode from The New Batman Adventures (“Legends of the Dark Knight”), all handpicked by producer Alan Burnett.
• Digital Comic – Excerpt from the graphic novel The Dark Knight Falls
by Frank Miller.
“Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2” comes out January 29, 2013