There’s the good, the great, and then there’s the BEST. Welcome to MTV Geek’s Best of 2012 — what we thought were the cream of the crop this year in the world of GEEK!
By Valerie Gallaher, Eddie Wright, Alex Zalben and Charles Webb
10. UNSUPERVISED – Charles says: “This scrappy FX series from It’s Always Sunny star David Hornsby is effectively ’Beavis and Butt-head’ if those two were sweet, god-fearin’ young men who really, really wanted to get laid in their small, white trash town. It was lucky to find its footing early on, but its juvenile sense of humor might not have won over ’Archer’ viewers sticking around to check it out.”
9. YOUNG JUSTICE – Charles says: “Dangerous and angry, the current batch of episodes featuring the young heroes of the DCU keeps amping up the intrigue and betrayals for the team.”
8. METALOCALYPSE – Charles says: “Series creator Brendon Small has begun to pull the trigger on the actual Metalocalypse and even as the show gets darker, it still remains darkly funny.”
7. FUTURAMA – Alex says: “While these last few seasons of ’Futurama’ have been a mixed bag, several classic episodes made their way through this year. One where Fry hits his head and ends up with a secret race of Neanderthals during Oktoberfest was funny, sweet, and flipped the usual Fry/Leela dynamic on its, well, bumpy head. And the season closer, which turned all its characters into animals on a nature show encapsulated everything that’s weird and wonderful about animation, and Futurama in particular, while being informative and romantic at the same time. Take that, Nova!”
6. THE REGULAR SHOW – Charles says: “Who knew Muscleman had feelings? J.G. Quintel slowly reveals the characters in his surreal series while never forgetting to keep it weird and interesting.”
5. ARCHER – Alex says: “The funniest show on TV only got better this year, as Burt Reynolds guest starred, Archer slept with Pam, and the gang went to space.”
4. ADVENTURE TIME – Eddie says: “Kids have no idea how many awesome things they’re going to be interested in thanks to the images and ideas being burned into their brains thanks to Pendleton Ward and co.”
3. THE LEGEND OF KORRA – Intern Phil says: “Nickelodeon’s ’The Legend of Korra’ was everything we loved about ’The Last Airbender’ but more grown up. ’The Legend of Korra’ took the original’s fascination with element bending and spun it on its head by creating a world that was against bending and feared by those who used it. ’Korra’ shows how limitless bending potential was, from Lin’s epic metal bending, to the terrifying blood bending technique. There were epic battles, great laughs, and perhaps one of the saddest moments in ’Avatar’ history. With Book Two on the way and featuring more episodes than Book One, fans are sure to get more of what they love in 2013.”
2. GRAVITY FALLS – Alex says: “One of the sweetest, funniest surprises in animation this year – heck, on TV – was probably Disney’s ’Gravity Falls.’ Dipper and Mabel Pines investigation into weird mysteries somehow manages to poke fun at shows like ’The X-Files,’ while also successfully building mysteries of its own. From Waddles the Pig, to several brilliant slow burn/big pay-off jokes that are reminiscent of the best of ’Arrested Development,’ ’Gravity Falls’ went from not being on our radar, to one of our favorite TV shows ever in record time.”
1. BOB’S BURGERS – Charles says: “After its excellent first season, Jon Benjamin and company have been able to cut loose with a new batch of episodes about the crappiest, saddest burger joint in New York. So far, ’Full Bars’ stands as the highlight of the season.” Valerie says: “The show, which we picked as best animated series last year as well, has really hit its stride in 2012.” Eddie says: “This is the best animated family comedy since ’Home Movies.’ It’s sincere, hilarious and Louise is a future cult icon.”
“The Big & Best of 2012: A Year End Celebration Presented by T-Mobile” goes LIVE at 12 p.m. ET on 12/12/12. Watch at BigAndBestOf2012.com for eight hours of live performances from stars like Bruno Mars and Miguel, special editions of “RapFix Live” with Ma$e and A$AP Rocky, “Big Morning Buzz Live,” “MTV After Hours” with Norman Reedus, “You Oughta Know,” surprise guest appearances, prize giveaways and much much more!