By Kevin Kelly
Polaroid wants to take mobile phone camera to the next step in a big way. According to Polaroid, having a camera on your mobile phone is nice, but most people "don't consider it to be a true optical device." Although mobile cameras get better every year, they're right. You still can't get the visual clarity that you can with a true optical camera with a lens, bells, and whistles that you can out of a mobile phone.
So how did they make the jump? By bolting an entire camera onto an Android-powered phone. The Polaroid SC1630 is a 16 megapixel camera with 3x optical zoom, a touchscreen display, built-in wifi and weighing only five ounces. According to their press release, "Merging the optics of a digital still and video camera with the limitless power of the Android platform, the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera evolves the process of clicking, editing, uploading and tagging to an instant experience on one device."
Here are some specs for the new device (Phonamera, Camphone?) which will be available in 2012 at a price still TBD.
- Capture Like the Pros: Life’s quickest moments are no longer at risk to becoming blurry images from a basic camera phone. Built on a 16 megapixel CCD senor, the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera treats images to a 3X optical zoom – a feature not found in most mobile phones. Choose from 18 scene modes and then click and view crystal clear images – captured at 36mm or full 108mm magnification – on the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera’s 3.2’’ widescreen display.
- Enhance Your Moments With Smart Features: The Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera powered by Android takes the work out of being behind the lens with automatic face and smile detection. Also, gone are the days when digital images that never connected with a USB cord went unorganized and forgotten. The Smart Album feature of the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera automatically organizes photos by date, location and people. Plus, geo-tagging features can add longitude and latitude coordinates to photos.
- Edit, Share and Save: Now there is no reason to leave the party – everything needed to edit, save and upload can be done anywhere right on the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera. On-board editing features include cropping, red-eye removal, resizing and color correction. Backed by the power of Android, the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera uploads images to social networks with the touch of one button and can hold up to 32GB of memory via a microSD card.
- Instantly Connect to the World: The Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera’s Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and optional cellular data connections empower digital images to be shared from anywhere in a snap.
- Get Productive: Need to check-in on where friends are gathering, get directions or make the next move in your favorite game? Backed by the power of Android, the Polaroid SC1630 Smart Camera supports Google’s Android Market, making it truly like no other camera available today. Now you can snap, share and link up with more than 400,000 apps.
For more details about gadgets welded onto other gadget, keep reading MTV Geek's CES 2012 coverage!
CES 2012: Justin Bieber And The Bot