What’s that? You’ll still be able to go into a backwards slo-mo dive and catch dudes in the face with your shotgun? Where, sir, do I preorder?
Before you know it, March will be here, bringing the father of bullet time games back with its second sequel, Max Payne 3. Just typing that out, I realized that it’s been nearly 10 years since the last entry in the series (eight, actually with 2003’s Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne). And based on this pretty lengthy if a little dry making-of video, it appears that Rockstar isn’t about to go making any sort of drastic changes with how you’ll be delivering hot lead to the criminals of New York and the new setting, Brazil.
Check out the trailer and then read some of the smaller points I picked up while watching it.
- Mostly owing to larger screens and increased fidelity, it looks like old Max takes up a bit more space in the player’s field of vision. I’m not just talking about his gut here, either. He’s not as brawny or bulky as say, one of the COGs from Gears, but he has a bit more mass to him, therefore making him a larger target.
- I could have sworn that I read somewhere that MP3 would incorporate a cover mechanic, but the curious thing here is that while we see Max hidden behind cover in both gameplay and cinematic sequences, we never actually see him post up during actual gameplay. Just kind of a very specific omission that might be covered in a future video.
- That there is one tiny reticule there. Rockstar appears to be keeping the same targeting reticule used in previous games in the series (for good or ill). For the pistol, at least, it’s just a dot, while you get a somewhat larger one for the automatic weapons and shotguns. I’m curious if this will be customizable in the options.
- Did I detect a little “snap” or auto-aim when Max was cycling between targets in bullet-time?
- Simply based on what we’ve seen here, it looks like Max will be in pretty cramped quarters for combat, adding to the sense of frenzy present in early entries in the series.
Max Payne 3 will be released on the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th of next year.