In addition to tackling the relaunch of Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, this August writer Jonathan Hickman will also be writing a 4-issue miniseries featuring the Ultimate universe version of Hawkeye, with Ultimate Comics: Hawkeye. Hickman will be joined by artist Rafa Sandoval (Avengers: The Initative, Ultimate Doom) to tell a story about the mysterious Ultimate Universe marksman which–much like the other “Ultimate Comics Reborn” titles–will have ramifications for the wider line.
Hickman had a few things to say about the new mini and Marvel also provided MTV Geek with this Ultimate Hawkeye #1 cover by Adam Kubert:
… and this one by Neal Adams:
- It will be a 4-issue mini occurring consecutively with Ultimates 1-4, with all the events of the two books leading to a big event defining the direction of the Ultimate universe.
- The book is planned as not only part of the new Ultimates rollout, but a reintroduction to Ultimate Hawkeye.
- For Hickman, the appeal of the character is military background and longtime SHIELD affiliation.
- The series will delve into some of the mysterious character’s origins, with a story starting off thanks to an incident at a Southeast Asian Triskelion base.
- Hickman explains that this series will have as much connection with Nick Spencer’s Ultimate X-Men relaunch as it will for Ultimates.
- Sandoval, who’s just coming off of Ultimate Doom, is a fit for the project, Hickman says, becase the artist gets the character.
- Hickman says that upending elements of Hawkeye’s life will allow him to possibly move past the death of his family which occurred during Ultimates 2.
- The character will also get a new look which is somewhat similar to the costume created by Bryan Hitch in Ultimates 1.
Ultimate Hawkeye #1 will be on shelves in August.