According to The Hollywood Reporter, Cage is in early negotiations to reprise his role as Johnny Blaze in “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.” Additionally, Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor are also reportedly in negotiations to direct the film. Neveldine and Taylor may also do a rewrite of David Goyer’s story, but that hasn’t been determined at this point.
Neveldine and Taylor are best known for writing and directing both “Crank” and its sequel, “Crank: High Voltage.” They also wrote the script for “Jonah Hex,” which hits theaters on Friday.
Mark Steven Johnson — the director of the original “Ghost Rider” — will remain involved as a producer, along with Michael De Luca, Steven Paul, Avi Arad and Ari Arad.
Late last year, Goyer told MTV News that the film would not be a reboot of the previous “Ghost Rider” movie.
“It’s not exactly a reboot,” said Goyer. “I hate to say it’s more realistic, because he’s got a flaming skull for a head, but it’s a bit more stripped down and darker. It’s definitely changing tone. What ’Casino Royale’ was to the Bond movies, hopefully this will be to ’Ghost Rider.'”
“This story picks up eight years after the first film,” continued Goyer. “You don’t have to have seen the first film. It doesn’t contradict anything that happened in the first film, but we’re pretending that our audience hasn’t seen the first film. It’s as if you took that same character where things ended in the first film and then picked it up eight years later — he’s just in a much darker, existential place.”
In January, De Luca named a Goyer as a possible director for the sequel. He also revealed that Eva Mendes will not reprise her role as Johnny’s girlfriend.
What are your thoughts on Nicolas Cage’s potential “Ghost Rider” return? Should the sequel have made a clean break from the first film? Which villain would you like to see used? Swear for vengeance and let us know what you’re thinking in the comment section or on Twitter!