This week, MTV News is celebrating the release of "Green Day: Rock Band," the latest installment in the watershed video game series that turns you and your group of friends into stadium-filling guitar shredders, bass poppers, drum killers and vocal stylists. The new title, which includes 47 tracks spanning the band's prolific career (including their two massive breakthroughs Dookie and American Idiot in their entirety), not only allows you to play as Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool but also provides a healthy dose of band history and biography in the form of rarely-seen photos, video and interviews from every point in the group's career.
To mark the release of the game as well as to pay homage to one of the most hard-working and dynamic bands of the past two decades, the three band members signed a wireless "Rock Band 2" guitar for XBox 360, and MTV News is going to give it away.
Want to make that the latest piece of either your "Rock Band" arsenal or your Green Day memorabilia collection (or both)? All you need to do is take on the following challenge: What makes Green Day rock? Be imaginative, be creative, be passionate and be convincing.
All you need to do is think about why Green Day rock, then record a 30-second answer on video. Head on over to Your.MTV.com to upload your entry, and MTV News will select the best clip. The most creative, inventive and insightful video will be declared the winner and get to take home the "Rock Band" guitar above signed by Billie Joe Armstrong, Tré Cool and Mike Dirnt. (Full contest rules are below.)
So tell us why Green Day rock, and win yourself the autographed "Rock Band" guitar. Get your video uploaded to Your.MTV.com by 11:59 p.m. on Thursday, June 10. Get rocking!
GREEN DAY 'ROCK BAND' CONTEST
Sponsored by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc.
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR
CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2. Entry Period: The “Green Day 'Rock Band' Contest” (the “Contest”) commences at 12:00:01 AM (ET) on June 7, 2010 and ends at 11:59:59 PM (ET) on June 10, 2010 (the “Contest Period”). All entries must be received by 11:59:59 PM (ET) on June 10, 2010.
3. Contest Overview: The Contest is a skill contest wherein entrants create a video (the “Video”) in which the entrant explains why Green Day rocks. One (1) grand prize winner (the “Grand Prize Winner”) will be selected to receive the Grand Prize (as defined herein).
4. Eligibility: The Contest is only open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are at least 13 years of age or older at time of entry (the “Entrant” or “Entrants”). Entrants who are not yet at the age of majority in the jurisdiction in which they reside will be required to obtain parental or legal guardian consent to be eligible to be declared a Grand Prize Winner. Entrants must not be professional filmmakers and/or videographers and must not be at the time of entry, during Contest Period or at the time of Grand Prize fulfillment, a party to any agreement with any studio, production company or publishing company or any third party that might interfere with Entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or acceptance of the Grand Prize awarded. Employees (and their immediate families i.e., parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents, step parents,
step children and step siblings, and/or those living in the same household) of MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. (“MTVN” or “Sponsor”), and its respective parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries, advertising agencies and third party fulfillment agencies (collectively with MTVN, the “Contest Entities”) are not eligible to enter Contest. By participating in this Contest, Entrants: (a) agree to be bound by these Official Rules and by the interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsor, and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are final in all matters relating to the Contest; (b) release and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities and their respective agents, employees, officers, directors, successors and assigns, against any and all claims, injury or damage arising out of or relating to participation in this Contest and/or the use or misuse or redemption of a prize, and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action; and (c) acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant who is under a third party agreement which Sponsor deems to be as contradictory to the amateur nature of this Contest and in violation of these Official Rules.
format specified on the Website not to exceed 100MB in file size. If Submission Material exceeds one (1:00) minute in length, only the first one (1:00) minute of the Submission Material will be considered. The Submission Material must be in an acceptable format supported by the Website and must not exceed 100MB in size. The Submission Material must be comprised only of original elements created by Entrant and may not contain elements which are/have been created, developed, copyrighted, trademarked and/or patented by third parties or which are own or subject to proprietary or licensing rights of or by an entity other than Entrant(s) personally and in their individual capacity(ies). Any Submission Materials that do not meet the requirements of the previous sentence will not be accepted or will otherwise be disqualified.
In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning entry, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account used to participate inthe Contest at the actual time of entry, will be deemed to be the Entrant. The authorized account subscriber is defined as the naturalperson who is assigned an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g. business, education, institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with thesubmitted e-mail address. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
All entries submitted in accordance with these Official Rules shall be collectively hereinafter referred to as the “Eligible Entries”. Incomplete or inaccurate entries are void.
Each Entrant hereby grants and agrees to grant to the Sponsor and to each of the other Contest Entities the right to exhibit, webcast, podcast, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, display, create derivative works of, distribute and synchronize in time related to visual elements, post, and/or
otherwise use and/or exploit the Videos or any parts thereof, in perpetuity, anywhere in the world, in any manner or media now existing or hereinafter devised, including, but not limited to, the right to make any and all uses thereof, or for purposes of advertising or trade without any compensation to Entrant. None of the Contest Entities are under any obligation to use the Videos for any purpose.
Entrants agree that Videos shall not contain, include or involve any of the following:
» Crude, vulgar or offensive pictures, depictions, images, language and/or symbols
» Gang signs or symbols
» Explicit sexual activity
» Illegal drug or alcohol use
» Commercial products (e.g., clothing, toys, food) and/or their trademarks, brands, logos or
» Unauthorized trademarks and copyrighted material (e.g., music)
» License plates, phone numbers, personal addresses – physical or email or otherwise
» Website or web page links
» Derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups, humiliate other people (publicly or otherwise), any assault or threatening of others
» Trespass or the violation of other people’s rights or property
» Illegal (e.g., discriminatory, harassing) or inappropriate activity, behavior or conduct (e.g., inflicting emotional distress)
» Conduct or activities in violation of these Official Rules
» Any other content, display, materials and/or images that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable or offensive, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion
The Contest Entities are not obligated to, use, publish, display or broadcast any Videos submitted with an entry. Each Entrant acknowledges that the Contest Entities will rely on such Entrant’s agreement and compliance with these Official Rules when Entrant submits or attempts to submit the entry. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion,
to violate any of the policies of MTVN’s “Standards and Practices Guidelines” at http://www.mtv.com/sitewide/mtvinfo/user_content.jhtml or the terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor may modify or edit any materials related to a Contest entry or request Entrants to do so, so that such materials meet such guidelines.
6. Grand Prize Winner Judging Criteria: The official judging panel will be comprised of representatives from the Sponsor. The Eligible Entries will be judged based on the following equally weighted judging criteria: originality, creativity and most compelling (“Judging Criteria”). The final determination of the Grand Prize Winner and the application of the Judging Criteria shall be in the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsor. The Sponsor reserves the right to extend the Contest Period or to not select a Grand Prize Winner if the Sponsor determines, in its sole and absolute discretion, that entries received did not meet the minimum qualification standards based on the Judging Criteria specified herein. The Sponsor reserves the right to delay the announcement of the Grand Prize Winner in its sole discretion.
7. Grand Prize Winner Selection/Notification: One (1) Grand Prize Winner shall be selected by the Judges on or about June 11, 2010. Sponsor will make up to two (2) attempts over the 24 hour period following Grand Prize Winner selection to contact the potential Grand Prize Winner. If the potential Grand Prize Winner cannot be reached during the 24 hour period in which he/she is emailed or called (no messages will be left on answering machines or voicemail systems) the potential Grand Prize
Winner will be disqualified and an alternative Grand Prize Winner may be selected from among the remaining Eligible Entries received if time permits. In addition, Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternative Grand Prize Winner if time permits in the event that any Grand Prize Winner fails to comply with these Official Rules.
8. Grand Prize Winner Verification: The potential Grand Prize Winner must prove eligibility, including, without limitation, proof of age and residence within two (2) calendar days of being notified as a potential Grand Prize Winner. In the event of non-compliance by the potential Grand Prize Winner such potential Grand Prize Winner shall be disqualified and all privileges otherwise due as a Grand Prize Winner shall be terminated and an alternative potential Grand Prize Winner may be chosen from among the remaining Eligible Entries received in Sponsor’s sole discretion. The Grand Prize Winner and Guest (as hereinafter defined) must sign (or, if a minor, have his/her parent or legal guardian sign) within two (2) calendar days of receipt of applicable documents from Sponsor: (a) an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability whereby each of the Contest Entities and each of its officers, directors, employees, agents, members, affiliated companies and subsidiaries, is released from any and all
liability, loss, claims, demands, and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Contest or the use/misuse or acceptance of any Grand Prize or any portion thereof, and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright infringement, trademark infringement or any other intellectual property related cause of action, to be eligible for any Grand Prize and (b) except where prohibited by law, a promotional release granting Contest Entities the right to use their name and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation, and (c) an assignment of rights to Sponsor in and to the Video. Entry into this Contest constitutes agreement to sign such releases. The Grand Prize Winner and Guest (or, if a minor, his/her legal guardian) must acknowledge that none of the
Contest Entities will obtain or provide insurance of any kind relating to any Grand Prize. The Grand Prize Winner (or, if a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) will be responsible for obtaining and paying for any form of insurance relating to any Grand Prize.
The Grand Prize Winner and Guest (or, if a minor, his/her parent or legal guardian) must also complete any additional legal documents provided by Sponsor with respect to any Grand Prize and return them as instructed within the time frame specified by Sponsor or the Grand Prize Winner may forfeit such Grand Prize at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor expressly reserves the right to delay the announcement of the Grand Prize Winner for creative or technical reasons or for any other reason Sponsor deems necessary.
Grand Prize Winner agrees to irrevocably assign to Sponsor, and its representatives, affiliates and licensees, in whole or in part, all of Grand Prize Winner’s right, title and interest in the Video including, without limitation, all intellectual property rights therein, for use in any and all media whether now known or hereafter devised, including, without limitation, the unconditional right to exhibit, webcast, podcast, broadcast, copy, reproduce, encode, compress, encrypt, incorporate data into, edit, rebroadcast, transmit, record, publicly perform, create derivative works of, distribute and synchronize in time related to visual elements, and/or otherwise exploit and exercise all other rights of ownership in the Videos, in perpetuity, anywhere in the world, including, but not limited to, the right to make any and all uses thereof, or for purposes of advertising or trade without any compensation to Entrant.
9. Grand Prize: Grand Prize Winner will receive a one (1) autographed “Rock Band” guitar signed by Green Day (the “Grand Prize”). The dates for fulfillment of the Grand Prize will be on or around April 2010, subject to change in MTVN’s sole discretion.
10. General Grand Prize Terms: The approximate total retail value (the “ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $59.99 and is subject to change based on current market conditions at time of Grand Prize fulfillment. Any difference between the ARV and the actual value, if any, will not be rewarded. If for any reason any prize-related event is delayed, cancelled or postponed, Sponsor reserves the right, but are not obligated, to cancel or modify the Contest in its sole discretion and shall award a substitute prize of equal or greater value, which may include, but is not limited to, a cash prize equivalent to the ARV of the trip portion of the Grand Prize as set forth in these Official Rules. All costs and expenses not specifically listed above are solely the Grand Prize Winner’s responsibility. All federal, state and local taxes, and any other costs not specifically provided for in these Official Rules are solely the Grand Prize Winner’s responsibility. No substitution, transfer or cash equivalent of any Grand Prize or any portion thereof permitted, except by Sponsor, in which case a prize of comparable or greater value may be awarded. The Grand Prize is non-transferable.
11. General Terms: Noncompliance with any of these Official Rules may result in disqualification. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY GRAND PRIZE WINNER OR ANY BEHAVIOR BY GRAND PRIZE WINNER THAT WILL BRING SUCH GRAND PRIZE WINNER OR ANY OF THE CONTEST ENTITIES INTO DISREPUTE (AS DETERMINED BY THE AFFECTED CONTEST ENTITY IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION WILL RESULT IN SUCH GRAND PRIZE WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS A GRAND PRIZE WINNER OF THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
Contest Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest. Contest Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination thereof, or any incomplete, lost, late, delayed, misdirected or garbled votes or failure to receive votes, including, without limitation, any injury or damage to participant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest.
Contest Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest, or in the announcement of the Grand Prize or Grand Prize Winner. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, changes in MTVN’s on-air programming, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Contest Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest or for any reason that Contest Entities deem it necessary, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest, and to determine the Grand Prize Winner in its sole discretion. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be
posted on http://Newsroom.MTV.com and the Grand Prize may be awarded to a winner to be selected from among all Eligible Entries received up until and/or after (if applicable) the time of modification, cancellation or termination, or in a manner that is fair and equitable as determined by Sponsor. All interpretations of these Official Rules by Sponsor and decisions of Sponsor are final.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it suspects or finds: (i) to be acting in violation of these Official Rules; (ii) to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or (iii) to have provided inaccurate information on any legal documents submitted in connection with this Contest.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE
THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OVER ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE CONTEST AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL EXCLUSIVELY GOVERN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS.
Entrants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities and each of their respective affiliated companies, parents, sponsors, subsidiaries, officers, directors, employees, agents, members (collectively, the “Indemnified Parties”) from and against any and all liabilities., claims, suits, losses, damages, expenses and costs (including, but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees) resulting or arising from the Contest, and from any breach or violation of any representation, warranty, obligation or covenant made by each Entrant herein, and each Entrant agrees to release all rights to bring any claim, action or proceeding against the Indemnified Parties, and hereby acknowledge that the Indemnified Parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the Grand Prize.
Past experience has confirmed that contests and other competitions generate substantially similar submissions or entries which closely resemble concepts and ideas that have been independently developed by any one or more of the Contest Entities before or after the Contest. Accordingly, Entrants may subsequently see a presentation by any one or more of the Contest Entities which
seemingly incorporates an idea or concept or includes materials similar to that contained in their entries. Any similarity is purely coincidental and unavoidable in light of the volume of ideas which the Contest Entities routinely consider in the course of their business. Because of this possibility, Entrants hereby agree to submit their entries under the following terms and conditions: (a) that each of the Contest Entities may use any ideas, concepts, material, in whole or in part, contained in an entry, (b) that all physical materials submitted become the property of Sponsor and will not be returned; (c) that all materials submitted are free from any lien or claim by anyone, including, but not limited to any union, guild or performance rights society; (d) Entrants have obtained all rights, permissions and licenses necessary for each of the Contest Entities to use the Videos for any purpose; (e) that
no Video or any part thereof infringes any trademark or copyright or otherwise violates anyone’s right of privacy or publicity; and (f) Entrants indemnify and hold harmless each of the Contest Entities and their respective parent companies, officers, directors, employees, and agents from any claims, suits, losses damages and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) that arise from any breach of the following conditions.
12. Request for Name of Grand Prize Winner and Official Rules: For the name of the Grand Prize Winner and/or Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: MTV Networks, 1515 Broadway, 29thFloor, Attn: Green Day ‘Rock Band’ Contest, New York, NY 10036. All requests for a copy of the Official Rules and the name of the Grand Prize Winner must be made by August 7, 2010. Please note on the front left-hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting "Official Rules" or the name of the “Grand Prize Winner." Vermont residents may omit return postage if requesting a set of Official Rules.
13. Sponsor: This Contest is sponsored by MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. having a place of business at 1515 Broadway, New York, NY 10036.