Queen Latifah Welcomes Us To Her Rainy Video Set

By Steven Roberts

Working on Sunday sucks. For one, it's supposedly a day of rest. You should be out at the park, enjoying Sunday brunch or lying in your bed watching sports while you recover from your hangover. Worst of all is that you know the next day is Monday — the official start of the work week — and you have five more days of this. So as I stood in a torrential downpour in the middle of the Wall Township Speedway in South Belmar, New Jersey yesterday, I thought to myself, "This could be worse."

I'll backtrack a little. I was asked on Thursday if I wanted to interview Queen Latifah, and I said "Yeah," because it's Queen Latifah. I just didn't hear the part where my boss said "… interview Queen Latifah this weekend."

But I thought "Whatever, it's Queen Latifah." And then I found out the interview would take place at her video set in south Jersey, and I thought I should really stop saying yes to everything so quickly. But once my cameraman Joel and I arrived, it was actually pretty awesome.

As we drove up to the set, we saw it was a racetrack with Ford Mustangs racing around. We made our way to the center of the track, and Robin Thicke walked past us to go hop in to drive a blood red car. Common arrived a little while later to drive a cobalt blue one. We grabbed interviews with both guys, who spoke excitedly about getting the opportunity to drive on the track. They were just there to show love to Latifah, whom they described as good friend.

The day was going smoothly. Video set visits can take forever because artists have a commitment shoot their video, and we grab them when can, in between takes or during breaks. But after Queen Latifah finished shooting her first scene, she came over to us for her interview. However, just as she was getting her makeup touched up, the sky opened up.

News reports all weekend had said that Hurricane Bill wouldn't hit the Northeast all that badly, but an hour later we were huddled up under Latifah's tent with about 10 of her people as the water continued to rise. They sang, danced and joked around, which helped pass time, and she even went out of her way to make sure we grabbed an interview later on.

The racetrack was below sea level, so the more it rained the more we became worried about all the electrical cords that surrounded us. I didn't get electrocuted, so it could've been much worse. Thankfully, I'm here to write about it ... on a Monday.