Whether he's slaying vampires with stakes or slaying audiences with laughter, there's one thing that everybody can agree upon when it comes to actor Ryan Reynolds — he's pretty awesome.
The Canadian-born actor, recently seen in this summer's "The Proposal" and "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," turned 33 years-old today, prompting the crew here at Birthday Bash — which mostly consists of me, but I like referring to myself as a team — to wish the erstwhile Van Wilder a very happy birthday!
If you're not as convinced as I am that Reynolds is a fantastic Hollywood icon worth celebrating, then please indulge me as I run down five reasons we should all be thankful for the actor's continually evolving career.
1. Geek Cred: He's already starred in two comic book movies — the aforementioned "X-Men" and "Blade: Trinity" — but Reynolds is looking to headline two more in "Green Lantern" and "Deadpool," becoming one of very few actors to juggle two high-profile superhero roles at once.
2. True Romance: But it's not all swordplay and power rings with Ryan, as seen by his turns as a romantic lead in "The Proposal" and "Definitely, Maybe," which is sure to turn your hearts if the actor's superhero roles haven't already turned your heads.
3. Van Wilder: Before all of that, however, was "National Lampoon's Van Wilder," starring Reynolds as the titular college buffoon with charm up the wazzoo. Younger readers, you might want to avoid this one until you yourself are on the way to college — but when you get there, you'll understand why this movie rocketed Reynolds to super stardom.
4. Adventure Time: On the flip side, the actor recently starred in "Adventureland," which should pique your curiosity for any number of reasons, not the least of which is the involvement of Bella Swan herself, none other than Kristen Stewart! On top of that, "Adventureland" is based on an old theme park near my home town — true story! — so I'd be sold with or without Ryan.
5. Scarlett Fever: Of course, we can't forget one of Reynolds' biggest accomplishments to date, that being his marriage to fellow actress Scarlett Johansson. In addition to being one of the most attractive couples in Hollywood, they both also have comic book characters under their belt — ScarJo will be in this summer's "Iron Man 2" — so you can only imagine the geek fights that go on in their household.
Like I said: Ryan Reynolds is pretty awesome and deserving of an awesome birthday!
Send your birthday wishes to Ryan Reynolds in the comments section below or two our Twitter @hollywoodcrush!