Today is a very special day for Birthday Bash readers and for vampire enthusiasts at large as Alexander Skarsgård, who plays Swedish vampire Eric Northman on HBO's "True Blood," turns 33 years old. In honor of the young (and smokin'!) actor's birthday, we've compiled some fun facts about hi life and career that you may or may not already know about.
1. Nation's Pride: Alexander's "True Blood" character is from Sweden, but did you know that the actor himself is Swedish as well? He's appeared in several Swedish films and television shows such as "Metropia" and "Vita lögner."
2. Like Father, Like Son: He's not the only Skarsgård in the acting business. While his brother Gustaf has yet to break into the American entertainment industry, Alexander's father Stellan is well-established thanks to roles in "Pirates of the Caribbean," "Good Will Hunting" and "Entourage."
3. An Eye For Talent: In addition to appearing in front of the camera, Allexander has tried his hand behind the lens as well. He co-directed a short Swedish film entitled "Att döda ett barn" — or "To Kill a Child" in English — about the personal burdens of accidentally taking a child's life. The film was narrated by the aforementioned Stellan Skarsgård.
4. He's A Fighter, Not A Lover: "True Blood" is easily his most popular role, but it's not even his first time gracing the small screen courtesy of HBO. He portrayed Sgt. Brad "Iceman" Colbert on "Generation Kill," a miniseries from "The Wire" creator David Simon that focused on the war in Iraq.
5. Thunderstruck: It won't be easy for Alexander to shake his heartthrob persona once his run on "True Blood" is over, but the Swedish actor nearly expanded his fan base to the comic book community with "Thor," based on Marvel's Nordic superhero. He eventually lost the roll to Chris Hemsworth of "Star Trek" fame.
What are some of your favorite fun facts about Alexander Skarsgård? Share your birthday wishes with the "True Blood" star in the comments section!