Miley Cyrus at the 2013 MTV VMAs.
Photo: Getty Images
• It was post-VMA Miley mania: we took a look at her VMA performance outfits (silver bear leotard + nude latex bra + twerking = so much conversation and even more raised eyebrows); compared her nude bodysuit and coming-of-age performance to Miss Britney Spears’ from 2000; and finally, moved on with Miley as she filmed her cameo in Mike WiLL Made It’s “23” music video.
• We witnessed the creation of musical duo #2Pantz when VMA Red Carpet host Grimes and 2 Chainz realized they were in the same Versace menswear pants.
• Lady Gaga opened the VMAs with a live recreation of her “Applause” video and outfits. The crowd cheered and screamed (sorry, it had to be done) for her; she ended the performance in an Aphrodite shell thong bikini, which she wore the for rest of the night. Someone at the Barclays Center will soon sit where Lady Gaga’s bare butt sat. Think about that. #hygiene
• Ahhhh, *NSYNC came back for us! Chris Kirkpatrick, Joey Fatone, JC Chasez, and Lance Bass joined Justin Timberlake on the VMA stage as he performed 15 minutes worth of his biggest hits so we, naturally, took a stroll down memory lane and reviewed their VMA style history with GIFs so you can really see how all that patent leather and ripstop nylon shines in the stage lights.
• Rihanna rolled up to the VMAs in a t-shirt and jeans and didn’t set foot on stage once, but obviously still killed it to the point where we couldn’t stop talking about her. Helping her style game? Her new teeny cross-shaped grill that she wore between her two front teeth.