While the 2013 Grammys lacked both meat dresses and see-through lace gowns, the attendees didn’t seem to follow that fashion advisory memo CBS sent out in hopes of curbing “inappropriate” nudity. They didn’t actually think that, of all people, musicians would listen, did they? Even with side-boob and full leg exposed, the Grammys seemed a bit more tame and glamorous this year than in years past, and of course we could count on a lot of great hair and makeup. Below are some of my favorite beauty looks from the night along with tips on how to get the signature piece of the look.
Rihanna at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
Photo: Getty Images / NARS
Dare I say best dressed?? Rihanna always looks good, but I’m not sure we’ve ever seen her look this glamorous. Her hair is to die for, but my favorite thing about this look is how perfectly her lips match her dress. To get lips as good as this, I’d recommend trying NARS Semi Matte lipstick in Jungle Red.
Beyonce at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
Photo: Getty Images / Amazon
Beyonce looked stunning in this black and white jumpsuit by Osman Yousefzada. What made Beyonce’s look though, was her sleek hair and clean makeup. Want to try this look but think your hair is too short? No worries, that’s why they invented ponytail extensions! To get Beyonce’s fabulous long ponytail follow these easy steps:
1. Blow dry hair smooth using your favorite hair serum, to get a polished finish.
2. Part hair down the middle and gather into a low ponytail, using a soft bristle brush, like this one to smooth out any bumps.
3. Last, apply your ponytail extension. Each ponytail extension will have different directions for application, but don’t worry, they will come with directions!
Florence Welch at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
Photo: Getty Images / Benefit
Florence Welch can sometime go a bit over the top with her fashion for my taste, but I thought this custom Givenchy dress was the perfect combination of eccentric and elegant. Not to mention, the color looked amazing on her. With such pale skin, Welch always utilizes the help of a good highlighter on her cheekbones to help give her face dimension. To get a similar iridescent cheekbone, I suggest trying Moon Beam highlighter by Benefit.
1. Using your finger, tap Moon Beam on to the top of the cheekbones.
2. Blend toward the temple, also with your finger, and add more product as you blend until you get the desired amount of shine.
Carrie Underwood at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
Photo: Getty Images / Benefit
Carrie Underwood stands out, looking more like a glamorous actress than an eccentric musician. Underwood paired nude lips with sultry, smokey eyes, a look that’s super easy for you at home to pull off with the help of the Benefit Smokin’ Eyes kit.
1. First apply the pewter base.
2. Then apply the charcoal shadow along the lash line in and in the other edge of the crease.
3. Last apply the pink highlight under the brow.
*The best part about the Smokin’ Eyes kit is that it comes with directions with how to apply right on the box!
Adele at the 2013 Grammy Awards.
Photo: Getty Images / Shu Uemura
I think we can all agree that the best thing about Adele (besides her voice, of course) are her eyelashes. Don’t worry, those are not natural, meaning, good news, you too can buy your way to Adele-esque lashes.I’d recommend Shu Uemura Luxe Black false lashes, they’re a little pricey, but reusable, which means you’ll get your money’s worth.
1. Start by giving your lashes a soft curl, if you have naturally straight lashes.
2. Then apply mascara to your lashes
3. Apply glue to the lash strip and apply to the eye. Make sure the outer edge of the strip isn’t right at the corner of the eye, but a touch inward. The prevents the lashes from dragging down the outer corner of the eye and creating a bad shadow.