With Taylor in classic white and Kat in vibrant burgundy, it’s hard to tell who wore a suit to the VMAs better.
OK guys, get ready for one of our toughest Who Wore It Better-s of all time. Both girls are major faves, both took a risk on the VMA carpet, and both looked totally freaking amazing. We’re talking, of course, about Taylor Swift and Kat Graham, two MTV Style staples decided to wear the pants this year–literally. It’s funny how a slim, perfectly tailored suit can make a pretty girl look even more feminine than the most princess-like of gowns, but that’s really how we felt about the night’s menswear inspired evening wear. We’re so used to seeing Taylor in demure, sparkly Cinderella gowns, it was something of a relief to see her in something so simple, structured, and stark as a white suit. Kat Graham, on the other hand, took the look to it’s most luxurious, pairing a rich, deep color with a pop of leopard. How will we ever decide who wore it better? Let’s go a little deeper into the looks, shall we?
Taylor’s suit, which was designed by Parisian luxury master J. Mendel, brings one word to mind when we first look at it: ’clean.’ The fabric is pure white, with very little texture or sheen. The jacket’s nipped in waist and down-to-there shawl collar elongate Swifts already ultra tall frame, and ensure that there will be not mistaking this inspired-by-the-boys moment for T. Swift’s own version of Jo Calderone. Attention to detail is what really makes this look–the trousers, while not skinny by any means, are tapered and perfectly creased, and Taylor’s Tom Ford sandals are a more textured take on the classic nude pump, which might have made this look a little more predictable. Swift kept her makeup classic, but certainly not understated. Her bright red lip and perfect cat eye are classic while also being edgy and strong, in the same way as the suit itself. Meanwhile, Kat Graham took a nearly opposite tack, wearing a deep burgundy Jean Paul Gaultier suit over a classic, cropped leopard bustier. The suit shines under the red carpet’s lights, giving off a satin sheen. It’s a fitted, modern silhouette–with a closely tailored jacket, slim sleeves and super skinny bottoms, hitting right at the ankle and bunching up a bit at the knee. This ain’t your mama’s suit, that’s for sure. To elongate the look and bring everything together, Graham matched the maroon of her suit to the color of her deep red lips and her fantastic shoes, which look almost clog-inspired with a studded ankle strap.
So who wore the red carpet ladysuit better? We can’t decide. It’s fair to say that despite showing the same concept, Kat and Taylor had totally different, and totally them, takes on the look, and we thought both were just great.
Who do you think wore a suit to the VMAs better?
+ MORE 2012 VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS COVERAGE
• VMA 2012: Red Carpet Fashion Live Blog!
• MTV.com VMA Red Carpet Host Holland Roden Goes ’60s Chic
• House of Style Hosts Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss Are Super Excited For You To Watch! [VIDEO]
• Demi Lovato Shines In Sequins For Her VMA Pre-Show Preformance
• Rihanna’s 2012 VMAs Style From Red Carpet To Stage
• One Direction Or The Wanted: Which Boy Band’s VMA Style Is Best?
• Frank Ocean Makes VMA Performance Debut In All-Black Ensemble
• Rita Ora Or Nicki Minaj: Who Wore A Sheer Bodysuit Best On The VMA Red Carpet?
• Holland Roden Interviews Miley Cyrus And More In The 2012 VMA Red Carpet Report
• Taylor Swift Ditches Dresses For A White Pantsuit And Shorts At VMAs
• Lil Wayne’s 2012 VMA Performance Outfit Reminds Us Of ’The Wild Thornberrys’
• Blondes Have More Fun (At The 2012 VMAs)
• Katy Perry Works Long And Short Dresses At The VMAs
• Sheer, Sleeves, And Black Ruled The 2012 VMA Red Carpet
• Riff Raff Breaks Down His 2012 MTV VMA Red Carpet Look