Katy Perry at the 2012 Video Music Awards on Sept. 6 in L.A.
Photo: Getty Images
Hellloo Katy Perry! The superstar had all sorts of surprises up her (cough-couture-cough) sleeves tonight at the VMAs, with kissing Harry and Niall from One Direction ON THE LIPS on live television and whatnot…you know how it goes. But when she wasn’t causing commotion (and making us jealous) onstage, she was killing the fashion competition offstage with a pair of dresses and classic H-Wood glam. Remember last year’s avant-garde Dior getup, complete with a yellow head cube and lavender hair? Well, let’s just say she swung in a darker direction this time around in a gothy Elie Saab gown with a sheer bottom and leather detailing. Topped off with sleek black long hair and a defined lashes, she kind of reminds us of a modern day Wednesday Addams meets Megan Fox. In other words, it’s more of a throwback look to old-school Katy than bubblegum pop queen.
Katy Perry and Rihanna at the 2012 Video Music Awards on Sept. 6 in L.A.
Photo: John Shearer
OK, so we can all agree that she looked jaw-droppingly gorgeous on the red carpet prior to the show. BUT Katy’s chameleon habit kicked in later on when she swapped the gown for a short embellished minidress, and we’re definitely not complaining one bit. The long-sleeved beaded number is covered in a kaleidoscope of intricate designs, so awesome that we wish we’d gotten a chance to gawk at the dress even longer (sigh). On the plus side, though, we DID get to peep her sick nail art, which mesh perfectly with her patterned dress. Seriously, we couldn’t have planned it better ourselves.
All in all, a solid 2-for-2 for Miss Perry for the night! So tell us: which of Katy’s two VMA dresses did YOU like the best?
+ MORE 2012 VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS COVERAGE
• VMA 2012: Red Carpet Fashion Live Blog!
• MTV.com VMA Red Carpet Host Holland Roden Goes ’60s Chic
• Mirror Images: P!nk And Miley Cyrus Rock The Exact Same ’Do On VMA Red Carpet
• Demi Lovato Shines In Sequins For Her VMA Pre-Show Performance
• Rihanna’s 2012 VMAs Style From Red Carpet To Stage
• Holland Roden Interviews Miley Cyrus, The Wanted, The Cast Of ’Jersey Shore’ And More In The 2012 VMA Red Carpet Report
• Rita Ora Or Nicki Minaj: Who Wore A Sheer Bodysuit Best On The VMA Red Carpet?
• Taylor Swift Ditches Dresses For A White Pantsuit And Shorts At VMAs