By Gil Kaufman
If you watched Lil Wayne’s hilarious court deposition video, you probably learned that he’s a superstar who doesn’t have to hire his own photographers, and that can’t be argued. Weezy has just surpassed Elvis Presley, breaking the record for most Billboard Hot 100 hits.
According to Billboard, thanks to his feature on the new Game song “Celebration,” which debuted at #82 this week, Wayne set the new high point for the most Hot 100 entries at 109, passing the 108 posted by the late rock king between 1958 and 2003.
Though the “Glee” cast has totaled 204 entries on the Hot 100 since 2009, Wayne holds the artist title, mostly thanks to his many, many features on other people’s songs. In fact, only 39 percent (42) of the rapper’s solo hits account for his total, with the other 61 percent (67) made up of his features on songs by pals including Juvenile, Destiny’s Child and Birdman. Presley, on the other hand, was listed as the lead artist on all 108 of his chart hits and he still holds the title for most Hot 100 entries by a lead solo artist. For now, he’s easily ahead of the artists behind him, which include James Brown (91), Aretha Franklin (73) and Ray Charles (72).
Presley might easily have sealed the crown forever had some of his biggest hits not been released before the Hot 100 chart was established. According to Billboard, Elvis had 31 songs on the pre-Hot 100 chart between 1956 and 1958, including such smashes as “Heartbreak Hotel,” “Don’t Be Cruel” and “Hound Dog.”
Presley’s reign lasted from the time the Hot 100 was established on August 4, 1958 through October 4, 2003, while Wayne managed to pass the king’s total over 13 years and three months, with his first charting song hitting the week of July 10, 1999, when he was just 18. The recogniation of Wayne’s new high-water mark comes on the rapper’s 30th birthday, which he is celebrating today. The only other contemporary artist on the list is Jay-Z, who clocked in at #8 with 71 charting singles.