Whitney Houston Case Closed, 911 Call Released

By Kate Callahan

The police investigation of Whitney Houston's death was deemed "officially closed" by the Beverly Hills Police Department Wednesday, stating that the cause of her death was accidental drowning with the "effects of atherosclerotic heart disease and cocaine use" as contributing factors. Now that the case has been closed, the recording of the 911 phone call regarding Houston, made by a Beverly Hilton security officer, has been released to the public. 

Bobbi Kristina Wants Whitney Houston Role In Biopic

In the recording, the security officer never identifies Houston as the victim needing assistance and did not seem to know too many details as to what was going on in Houston's hotel room. The officer is heard saying, "I need paramedics, apparently I've got a 46-year-old female, found in the bathroom. That's all I've got right now, but they're requesting paramedics." Houston, who was actually 48 years old, was found by her assistant face down in a tub of "extremely hot water" according to the autopsy report.

When talking to the 911 dispatcher, the security officer did not know if Houston had fallen into the water or if she was conscious and breathing, stating "I don't know. The person that called me was irate and pretty much out of it." The 911 dispatcher also asked the security guard if they could be put through to the room to give CPR instructions, but he said "No, because she kept hanging up on us."

According to the autopsy report, Houston was last seen alive by her personal assistant in her Beverly Hilton hotel room at around 3 p.m. The assistant had left to run errands while Houston was to get ready for a pre-Grammy Awards party that was taking place at the hotel that night. When the assistant returned to the room at 3:35 p.m., she found Houston "lying face down in the bathtub filled with water, unresponsive."

The assistant and her bodyguard pulled Houston from the bathtub, and when paramedics arrived 10 minutes later, they moved Houston to the living room floor. Paramedics concluded that Houston was dead at 3:55 p.m., 20 minutes after she was found by her assistant. Police investigators "found no evidence of foul play." The police statement also said that after the investigation they have determined that Houston's death is not a criminal matter.