If you're a fan of the Battlestar Galactica television series, or enjoy sci-fi MMOs, you need to head over to the MTV Arcade. Bigpoint’s hit Battlestar Galactica Online, the massively-multiplayer online game based on the hit TV series, is ready and waiting for you jump in on the action with millions of other players. from around the world.
Playable through any web-browser, Battlestar Galactica Online is a 3D space combat game that starts by asking what side you want to fight for – the Humans or the Cylons? I personally chose the Human side, and was immediately thrown into a Viper tutorial where Starbuck showed me the ins-and-outs of being a pilot in the Colonial Fleet.
After dusting off a few Cylons, and stumbling across a strange device that throws the entire fleet off course, it’s time to make a character. Human players can be either male or female, and pick what kind of outfit and helmet their character wears. Cylons can customize the way their Centurion looks with different colors, damage, and markings. When that's all said and done we're on to our first mission.
Just like the epic dogfights you loved from the series, Battlestar Galactica Online lets you join-up with friends to take on missions and participate in massive PvP and PvE battles. So, before you jump in head first, scroll down and check out 10 tips to help ensure you stay in the fight.
• Remember to review and train your skills as you level- up; higher-level skills give competitive advantages throughout the game.
• Check out the various weapons, systems and ammo. Knowing information like the optimal firing range of a weapon, or the added effects of a new system, will help you select items that fit your play style.
• Be sure to use the “Z” Key to target incoming enemy missiles. Eliminating missile barrages could save you or your buddies!
• Be aware of your surroundings. Enemies can come from any direction, even above and below you!
• Don’t forget to mine asteroids for commodities like Tylium and Titanium, as they are valuable resources that play an important role in BSGO’s in-game economy.
• Do your ‘Daily Assignments’ as often as possible. Completion grants experience points and resources.
• Be sure to repair your ship equipment and hull after you have been destroyed. Don’t go back into the fight without being fully repaired.
• Play Triad with Starbuck or get your Prophecy from Six once a day. The first time is free and can earn you great items and equipment.
• There’s strength in numbers, especially in large PvP battles. Be sure not to go flying off on your own, you may find yourself in an ambush. (FTL jumps take time to execute, so if you think you need to run – run!)
• Have a look at some of the Boosters as they will help you level- up quickly!
Think you're ready to jump into the world of Battlestar Galactica Online? Then head over to the MTV Arcade and choose a side!
If you want to get the scoop on other games Bigpoint has to offer, and stay in the loop on upcoming titles, head over to their official website at Bigpoint.com and stop by their Facebook page, and follow the game on Twitter @humanorcylon