Desktop tower defense games are designed to be repetitive in a good way, but once you've mastered the solution to a particular map, the charm quickly disappears, which is why today's "Fieldrunners" update, adding a new map and more tower options free of charge, is so appreciated.
"Fieldrunners," the best desktop tower defense variation on the platform (though "7 Cities" gives it a run for its money) received its first major update, introducing a much-needed new map, Drylands, two new towers, a new enemy type and the expected assortment of big fixes and performance tweaks.
Xbox Live and PlayStation Network have lead to a proliferation of patches for console games, but it's a feature adopted from the PC platform that wasn't part of the handheld space until the iPhone and iPod Touch made it user-friendly.
The full list of tweaks, according to Touch Arcade:
* Mortar tower. With a destructive payload & explosive force the mortar tower obliterates enemies in a single devastating attack.
* Flame tower. The flame tower is capable of incinerating multiple fieldrunners in a single fiery swoop.
* New Map: Drylands. With multiple paths snaking thru the dried-out canyon riverbed, it gives the fieldrunners ample chance to escape.
* New Fieldrunner: the P-47 Thunderbolt. These blazing fast planes tear through the sky over the fields at an incredible speed.
* Sell without penalty. A tower that is both purchased and sold while the game is paused will not incur a score or price penalty.
* Faster load times. The time required to start a new game or resume a previously saved game has been significantally reduced.
* Updated game icon. The game icon has been changed to reflect the color palette of the new map.
* Improved lightning visuals. The lightning bolt discharged by the tesla tower now emits light and animates more realistically.
* Autosave. The autosave feature saves your progress every round to protect you against crashes or freezes.
These additions have been highly desired by "Fieldrunners" experts, of which I am not. I'm still working on finishing up the second map of the game; Drylands is locked away from me until then… any tips?
Got a comment you can’t bring yourself to share below this post? Drop me an e-mail.