Drew Goddard Downplays ‘World War Z’ Rumors, Won’t Get Writing Credit

With news of delays, reshoot, and rewriters, “World War Z,” Marc Forster’s adaptation of Max Brooks’ zombie novel, became the troubled production everyone loved to talk about.

Most recently, the movie, which is now set for release next summer, reportedly brought on “Cabin in the Woods” director Drew Goddard to rewrite the script. Goddard had previously downplayed his role in the production, and when MTV News spoke with him for the Blu-ray release of “Cabin,” he clarified his involvement.

“A lot got blown out of proportion about that,” Goddard said. “This happens a lot where studios ask you to come and look at movies, and then you give your opinion on them. That’s really what happens, and then you throw out some ideas for ways to make the movie better, but that happens on tons of movies.”

Goddard described the job as something he did for friends at the studio. “I’m just friends with people at Paramount, and they had me do it,” he said. “Somehow that leaked out. It became a much bigger deal. I just watched the movie and gave them ideas for how to make it better.”

He even said that his work was so minor that it won’t qualify him for a writing credit. “I wrote down some ideas, but it wasn’t like ’Drew’s rewriting the movie,’ ” he said. “I will not have a writing credit on that movie.”

“World War Z” opens on June 21, 2013.