First up, “Nemo.” The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Ellen Degeneres, who voiced the fan-favorite fish Dory in the first “Finding Nemo” movie, is in talks to return for the sequel. “Finding Nemo 2″ isn’t officially announced yet despite reports confirming its creation, so this isn’t much of a surprise. Original writer and director Andrew Stanton is slated to return to the project with his own new concept, while Victoria Strouse is writing the script.
While he was speaking at the Hero Complex Film Festival back in May, Stanton had said that he and his peers at Pixar had been trying to figure out a way to make a sequel to “Finding Nemo.” He said that the success of “Toy Story 2″ sold him on the idea of making follow-up movies.
“There are some stories, there are some characters, there are some subplots that do benefit, if handled correctly, by going longer,” he said. “I’m sure you’ll see some other sequels of things as they grow because now we [Pixar] are not so blinded. It’s the originals that keep us really going and it’s the sequels that are like comfort food, and I think it’s the same way for the audience.”
If that’s the comparison, then “Despicable Me’s” Minions spinoff movie has got to be some of the best comfort food of all. Universal Pictures has announced the release date for the untitled Illumination Entertainment project. The Minions movie is coming out December 19, 2014, while “Despicable Me 2″ is hitting theaters July 3, 2013.
Are you excited for these two planned projects? Tell us in the comments section below or on Twitter.