Charlize Theron Says ‘Mad Max’ Starts Shooting In June

The road to “Fury Road” has been a long, frustrating and confusing one. The fourth “Mad Max” film has long been talked about, vehicles and other set pieces have been constructed, and numerous A-list actors including Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron have been hired… but beyond that, very little has been done in the way of actually shooting the movie.

That might change very, very soon, if Theron is to be believed. MTV News spoke with the Oscar winner at the “Snow White and the Huntsman” press junket in London earlier this month, and she revealed that “Mad Max” will finally go before cameras in early June.

“You want some inside scoop? Start date: June 2,” Theron told us, following up the breaking news by knocking on wood.

Theron has every right to feel superstitious about “Mad Max” actually happening, considering all the fits and starts that have occurred along the way towards production. But the actress, who has a very bright summer with “Snow White” and “Prometheus” on the horizon, is feeling optimistic about the project.

“We’ve had a lot of time to talk about it and we had some rehearsal time when we were going to [shoot the movie],” she said. “I think it’s been good. I think you have to find the positive about something like this, waiting that long to do a film.”

Here’s another positive: Tom Hardy, the man taking over the Mad Max mantle from Mel Gibson, will presumably be an even bigger star than he is now by the time “Fury Road” gets going. If “Inception” didn’t boost his star already, then his monstrous turn as Bane in this summer’s “Dark Knight Rises” will certainly do the trick. Consider us hopeful that Theron, Hardy and the rest can finally get this race on the road.

Tell us what you think of the “Mad Max” news in the comments section or hit us up on Twitter!