Today (April 6), Billy Dee Williams will turn 75 years old. Mr. Williams, of course, is best known for portraying smooth scoundrel Lando Calrissian in two “Star Wars” movies.
Gambler, businessman, smuggler, pilot, rebel, hero: Lando is all these things and more. And although Han may be the wittiest and Yoda the wisest, Lando does utter quite a few memorable lines in the original “Star Wars” trilogy. So, to celebrate Williams’ big birthday, I give you my Top Ten Most Memorable Lando Lines, in random order.
1. “That blast came from the Death Star! That thing’s operational!”
2. “This deal is getting worse all the time!”
3. “No, wait – I thought you were blind!”
4. “They told me they fixed it! I trusted them to fix it! It’s not my fault!”
5. “Han will have that shield down. We’ve got to give him more time!”
6. “Han! Han! There’s still a chance to save Han!”
7. “Why you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler! You got a lot of guts coming here, after what you pulled.”
8. “Princess, we’ll find Han. I promise.”
9. “Yes, he’s alive. And in perfect hibernation.”
10. “What have you done to my ship?”
Happy Birthday, Billy Dee!
In The Comlink, “Star Wars” fan and MTV News producer Tami Katzoff explores the glory days of a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Whether you’re Team Jedi or Team Sith, friend of Wookiees or wanted by bounty hunters, any and all “Star Wars” fans are welcome along for the ride.