If you’ve ever watched daytime or late-night TV it’s very likely you’ve seen Regis Philbin in action – he’s been a constant presence there for the past several decades. This morning he made his final appearance as co-host of “Live! With Regis and Kelly” (formerly “Live! With Regis and Kathie Lee”); it’s a gig he’s had for the past 28 years.
Though Reeg is most closely associated with television (he’s in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most hours logged on the air), he’s also made many film appearances over the years. Here are five notable ones, in chronological order.
1. “Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex (But Were Afraid To Ask)” – In this early Woody Allen film, Regis appears as a celebrity panelist in a hilarious game show spoof called “What’s My Perversion?”.
2. “The Bad News Bears Go To Japan” – Regis had a small role in this third and final original “Bears” flick, memorable (to me anyway) only for the unbearably cheesy romance between Jackie Earle Haley’s character and a demure local girl.
3. “Little Nicky” – In this Adam Sandler vehicle, a hapless son of Satan and a talking dog watch an evil version of Regis on TV while eating Popeye’s fried chicken.
4. “Shrek The Third” and “Shrek Forever After” – In a somewhat brilliant casting move, Regis was chosen to voice Mabel the Ugly Stepsister.
5. “Jack And Jill” – Another Sandler collaboration: in the opening moments of this flick, Regis is seen shooting a Pepto Bismol commercial - doubly ironic, given the movie’s dismal reviews.
Leave your fond farewells to Regis in the comments section and on Twitter!