Jason Statham Addresses ‘Transformers’ Rumors

Jason Statham’s name has been thrown around quite a bit in the past two weeks. Last week, rumors began circulating that Statham could potentially join the next two installments of the “Fast and the Furious” series, which would film back-to-back. Now similar talk surrounds a different car-related franchise.

Variety reported this morning that the next two “Transformers” movies could film back-to-back and star — guess who — Jason Statham. The report comes months after rumors first surface that the British action star could take the reigns once the current lead, Shia LaBeouf, left the series. But when MTV News spoke with Statham at last month’s Toronto International Film Festival, he claimed to know nothing about the “Transformers” talk.

“You know, I don’t know how those things start. You read them. Someone told me about it. [But] the internet is a dangerous place,” he laughed. “There’s a lot of stuff out there.”

Not to say that Statham would be completely opposed to a “Transformers” movie: “I’ve got a lot of stuff in front of me, but Michael Bay is a talented man. This last one just made a billion dollars around the world, so people like his films. He’s a talented man.”

On Monday, representatives from Hasbro stated that there were ongoing talks about bringing the Transformers back to the big screen for more installments in the series. LaBeouf has said on several occasions that he would not return for more sequels, leaving the lead role open. Statham’s name has been the one tossed around most frequently but no offer has been made.

At MTV News, we definitely think that “The Transporter” could take over the “Transformers” series. Our own Brian Phares shared his own thoughts on how to fit Statham into the series — some ideas a bit more ridiculous than others, admittedly.

Would you like to see Statham take over for Shia LaBeouf? Let us know in the comment section below and on Twitter!