With "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1" opening this Friday (November 19), there's been quite a bit of speculation about whether the seventh "Harry Potter" novel would really be J.K. Rowling's last. Well, MTV News can put that debate to rest.
During MTV's live-stream coverage from the red carpet of the "Deathly Hallows: Part 1" NYC premiere, Daniel Radcliffe revealed that shortly after the movie's London premiere last week he received a text message from Rowling herself, assuring him that he'd never again have to play the Boy Who Lived.
"Basically, it amounted to the fact that she felt I had been very good in this 'Harry Potter' film, and as a reward for that, she wasn't going to make any more 'Harry Potter' films," Radcliffe told MTV News.
"I'm sure she will be writing other books," he continued. "But I can pretty much guarantee that Harry will not be a feature."
For "Potter" fans who feel that "Deathly Hallows" provided the perfect coda to Harry's story, this news is likely very welcome. For fanatic Potterheads who'll be devastated when the cinematic saga comes to a close with July 15's "Deathly Hallows: Part 2," however, the revelation is potentially crushing.
Those who fall into the latter camp shouldn't start crying into their cornflakes just yet, though. While Rowling has frequently said that Harry's saga would end with book seven, there's still the possibility she'll write more novels that take place in the Potter universe fans have come to know and love; Harry Potter just won't be in them.
When asked if the prospect of never playing Harry saddened him, Radcliffe replied: "It's sad, absolutely. [But] we're going out on a high note. To sustain this level of quality for 10 years is a very rare thing in a big franchise. I think it's us and 'Toy Story,' to be honest. I think we've done amazingly. I'm thrilled."
If voting in the poll didn't quite let you convey all your thoughts on the subject, tell us how you feel about "Deathly Hallows" being the final "Potter" book in the comments!