There are a bunch of awesome new extras to look forward to. Exclusive to the Blu-ray is a half-hour vintage behind-the-scenes special hosted by Leslie Nielson which aired before the first TV screening of the initial movie. There’s also the obligatory “newly filmed” retrospective documentary, vintage extras from previous releases, deleted scenes, feature commentaries, a hoverboard test and — let’s face it, the undisputed highlight — a music video for Huey Lewis and the News’ “Power of Love.” No word on pricing, but I’ve pasted the full breakdown of bonus features after the jump. Click the thumbnail above for a more complete look at the box art.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY: Unleash the power of your HDTV with perfect picture and the purest digital sound available.
• U-CONTROL: Universal’s exclusive signature feature allows viewers to learn more about their favorite film without ever leaving the movie.
o Setups & Payoffs: As you watch each of the three films, each “set up” showcases items in the scene that prepare you for a future plot point. When you get to that moment in the film, the “payoff” is shown to complete the correlation.
o Storyboard Comparison: Compare key scenes in the movie with the original storyboards.
o Trivia Track: Get inside trivia and facts while you watch the movies.
• BD-LIVE: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!
• My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movies.
• pocket BLU™: USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhone®, iPod® touch, iPad®, Blackberry®, Android™, Windows and Macintosh computers and more to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-rayTM player and offers advanced features such as:
o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in their favorite episode.
o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
o Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
o Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard.
• Archival Featurette Back to the Future Night: Hosted by Leslie Nielson, this original 30-minute special aired on NBC prior to the first television screening of the Back to the Future.
BLU-RAY AND DVD BONUS FEATURES
• Tales from the Future: New six-part retrospective documentary featuring interviews with Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Director Robert Zemeckis, Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton, plus Executive Producer Steven Spielberg.*
o In the Beginning . . .: Delve into the genesis of the project, casting, re-casting, the DeLorean, sets and overall pre-production.
o Time to Go: Production stories through the release of the first film.
o Keeping Time: The score and the songs of the Back to the Future Trilogy.
o Time Flies: Learn more about how the sequel came about, the futuristic look, the special and visual effects, recreating 1955 and more.
o Third Time’s the Charm: Learn about building a western town, Doc Brown’s love story, the casting of Mary Steenburgen, the train sequence and completing the Trilogy.
o The Test of Time: Back to the Future becomes a phenomenon! President Reagan quotes the film, the Back to the Future ride opens at Universal Studios theme park and fans rebuild the iconic DeLorean. The film’s cast and crew take a look back and discuss why these beloved movies live on.
• The Physics of Back To The Future: A discussion with celebrity best-selling author and physicist Dr. Michio Kaku about the overall appreciation of the science in the Back to the Future Trilogy*
• Nuclear Test Site Ending Storyboard Sequence: Storyboard sequence of the original proposed ending of the film.*
• 16 Deleted Scenes
• Michael J. Fox Q&A
• Q&A Commentaries with Director Robert Zemeckis and Producer Bob Gale
• Feature Commentaries with Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton
• Archival Featurettes
o Making the Trilogy: Chapters One, Two & Three: Original 2002 DVD documentary that takes a look back in time.
o The Making Of Back to the Future Part I, II & III: Provides a vintage and historic first look at the making of all three films.
o The Secrets of the Back to the Future Trilogy: a televised special hosted by Kirk Cameron addressing fans unanswered Back to the Future questions.
o Original Makeup Tests
o Production Design
o Designing the DeLorean
o Designing Time Travel
o Hoverboard Test
o Designing Hill Valley
o Designing the Campaign
• Back to the Future: The Ride
• Music Videos:
o Huey Lewis and the News “Power of Love”
o ZZ Top “DoubleBack”
• Photo Galleries, Including Production Art, Additional Storyboards, Photographs, Marketing Materials and Character Portraits
• Theatrical Trailers
* Denotes new footage debuting on the 25th Anniversary Trilogy