EXCLUSIVE: ‘Clash Of The Titans’ Director Louis Leterrier Says No To 3-D And Has Massive Attack, Not Muse, On The Score

Clash of the Titans” hits theaters on March 26, 2010. It will be director Louis Leterrier’s follow-up to the 2008 Marvel Comics flick “The Incredible Hulk” and only his fourth feature as a director (“Transporter 2″ and the Jet Li-starring “Unleashed” being the other two). Leterrier has honed his craft quite a bit through the years, and all signs suggest that “Clash” will be his biggest and best effort yet.

That said, there are still a few burning questions that fans want some answers on. The massive success of “Avatar,” which also stars “Clash” lead Sam Worthington, has left many people wondering if the movie will be in 3-D. In fact, Worthington even mentioned the possibility of a 3-D release in a recent interview with the Los Angeles Times. There’s also news that emerged earlier this week that British rock group Muse had been asked to score the movie. It’s something they were interested in doing, frontman Matt Bellamy said in an interview with the Daily Star.

In an interview with MTV News earlier today (part of a longer upcoming feature we’ll be posting on Louis’ big year) Leterrier set the record straight at last on the 3-D and soundtrack rumors.

“We tried [to do 3-D for ’Clash’].’ We tried hard. We just won’t have time,” Leterrier explained. “Maybe we possibly can re-release it in 3-D.”

With all of the effort put into trying to release “Clash” in 3-D, it was tough to get on set every day and deal with Worthington and his “Avatar” experiences.

“Because it was Sam Worthington, I could hear all these 3-D stories from ’Avatar.’ And James Cameron was calling often, and I was like ’Guys, I’m doing the best i can with [the two dimensions] I’ve got!’ So if we ever get to do [’Clash’] in 3-D, that would be fantastic. But it’ll never be as good as James Cameron’s stereoscopic 3-D.”

Too true. That stereoscopic stuff is pretty mind-blowing, right? As for questions about Muse, the soundtrack, who’s doing it and all of that, Leterrier was more than happy to tell the story.

“It was not Muse ever, it was Matt Bellamy [who I spoke to about providing music]. I love Muse, I’m the biggest Muse fan ever, but I wanted something a little different,” Leterrier explained. “[Matt] wrote a lot of stuff, but he started his tour. So not so long ago, he called me and he was like ’Louis, I’m so sorry. I have to be respectful to my audience and professional and I have to stop on ’Clash.'”

Even if Bellamy had participated, the task of scoring the movie was never going to be his alone. “It was too big of a score,” Leterrier explained. “Craig Armstrong, who did my [’Incredible Hulk’] score– Craig, he was going to write the score and Matt Bellamy was going to come in and do… maybe 30 minutes of music.”

Now, new plans are in place. “Craig Armstrong is still doing the score and I called my friend Neil Davidge from Massive Attack to replace Matt for the areas that Matt was doing. So it’ll be Craig Armstrong and Massive Attack, which is pretty exciting.”

Pretty exciting indeed. And Muse fans can take heart; Leterrier is very much a fan and he hopes that some sort of collaboration will come up down the road. “On my computer I’ve got great Matt Bellamy stuff [that he recorded for ’Clash,’ but it won’t be appearing in the movie.] It’s like a rain check, like let’s do something later.”

Are you bummed at the news that “Clash of the Titans” won’t be released in 3-D? Or that Matt Bellamy is no longer involved in scoring the movie? How do you feel about Massive Attack replacing him?