The brand-new “Dark Knight” trailer was shown to a flabbergasted audience here in New York (Warner Bros. had not announced any plans to show any footage) and though we only got a chance to see it once, there’s an awful lot to chew on in this new glimpse.
– After a breathtaking shot of Batman perched high above Gotham, a voiceover from Heath Ledger’s Joker asks “Where do we begin?” Batman glides through the city.
– “Kill the Batman,” the Joker states to an adjoined meeting of mob bosses, before an explosion is shown and the subsequent showing of a Joker card. This seemingly gels with the suspicion that the Joker is controlling the mob through ransom (after robbing the mob-run bank in the IMAX preview).
– After several shots of Harvey Dent in District Attorney mode, we finally get everyone together as the Joker invades a fancy bash with Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale), Alfred (Michael Caine), Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart) and Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal). Sadly, the scene wasn’t topped off by the Penguin crashing through the floor on a giant duck.
– “The dawn is coming” says Dent in a voiceover.
– The Joker mutters “Here we go” before walking down a city street blowing stuff up in one particularly awesome scene.
– In one of the most foreboding moments of the trailer, Dent emphatically states “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” Harvey Dent, of course, backwardly referencing his future transformation into super-villain “Two-Face.”
– Our eyes may have been playing tricks on us, but it certainly looked like the Joker drops Dawes at some point. The length of said drop is uncertain.
We’ll all know more when the trailer officially hits in two weeks. The clock starts now.