Cue the plucky music, kids, because Jason Bateman and Michael Cera gave MTV some big news this week: The best TV comedy of the last decade is still alive.
“The ’Arrested Development’ movie is not dead, au contraire,” the dearly deceased show’s star, Bateman, told us Monday. “[Over the weekend I had] a little phone call, just catching up, a little reaching out and touching.”
On the other end of that phone was “AD” creator Mitchell Hurwitz, who has found himself with a lot of time to talk since Hollywood’s writers put down their pencils. “This writers strike, it’s a devil’s playground,” grinned Bateman, who has been lobbying for a big-screen “Arrested Development” ever since the show that resurrected his career died a premature death. “The guy doesn’t have anything to do.”
Further fueling an “AD” renaissance suddenly hotter than a cornballer, the red-hot Michael Cera is also eager to bring the Bluths back. “Yeah, if that would ever happen that would be great,” said the former (and future?) George Michael Bluth, currently reuniting with his one-time father (well, kinda) in the critically acclaimed comedy “Juno.”
“I’ve heard about that since the show was canceled, basically,” said Cera, who broke out earlier this year with “Superbad.” “I don’t want to get my hopes up — but it would be great, I would love to do that.”
Ever since the final episode aired 22 months ago, with a scene in which Maeby (Alia Shawkat) tried to sell the rights of her family’s story to Ron Howard, only to have the sly producer insist he’d rather see it as a movie than a TV show, “AD” fans have filled the Internet with chatter. The revelation of this past weekend’s conversation between Bateman and Hurwitz, however, is the closest an “Arrested Development” movie has gotten to becoming a reality.
“[During the strike] you’re allowed to write things you’re not being paid to do,” Bateman explained, revealing almost as much as a never-nude. “I’m trying to talk [Hurwitz] into writing the ’Arrested Development’ movie. And he could be coming around.”