Heidi's mom, Darlene Egelhoff, never really warmed up to Spencer Pratt. Sure, they had that awkward lunch/bonding sesh (where she called her daughter's then-fiance "manipulative" and "condescending"), and then there was the time she and her hubby gave Spence the silent treatment (when he surprised Heidi by following her to Colorado), but somehow, in between all the name-calling (Spencer thoughtfully nicknamed Darlene "Stalker Mom"), they never really found time to have that "So ... we're gonna be related someday!" heart-to-heart.
And now that Spencer's gone off and eloped with her baby girl, Mama Montag's wasted no time denouncing the couple's marriage -- and giving their holy matrimony a six-month expiration date -- in the new issue of Us Weekly. (Because nothing says "Welcome to the family" like calling your brand-new son-in-law a super-possessive control freak!)
Think we're exaggerating? Think again. Here are some other not-so-nice things Darlene had to say about the happy couple:
• "I would like to see a blood test from Mexico. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had her drugged."
• "I want the best for my daughter -- and he's definitely not it."
• "I think Spencer wants to possess Heidi more than marry her."
• "God says love your enemies, but I never expected it to be my son-in-law."
• "I think it's the biggest mistake Heidi's ever made."
Not to be outdone, Spencer issued a short statement to Us in response: "I think [Heidi's] mom needs to take a real fat chill pill and be happy for her daughter."
+ You tell us: Should Heidi's mom be more supportive of her daughter's marriage? Or is she entitled to speak her mind -- even if that means publicly eviscerating her new son-in-law?