One Direction are reportedly heading in different directions -- starting next year, that is.
A source has confirmed to People that the group has mutually agreed to take an “extended hiatus” beginning in March 2016.
According to the source, the break will last at least a year while Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson pursue solo projects.
This means 1D will not tour behind their fifth album, which is expected later this year, but they WILL continue promoting the album through February.
The band is currently on the North American leg of their On The Road Again tour, which wraps up in September. After that, the boys are scheduled to tour through Europe through the end of October.
The band released the music video for their first Zayn-less single, “Drag Me Down,” on Friday.
Just last month, Simon Cowell said he believes the band deserves a break after years of cranking out hits and constant touring.
“In terms of the band, they’ve got enough hits now they can take some time off and do some other stuff they want to do,” Cowell told The Sun. “Then I hope they’ll have a little bit of time apart and want to get back together again. It’s a fun job, but it’s absolutely their decision.”
MTV News has reached out to One Direction’s camp for comment.