INXS Manager Says Hutchence 'Snapped' And Took Life

'He felt the pressures and it was a snap,' said INXS manager Martha Troup.

A nervous breakdown in the early hours of the morning of Nov.

22, caused INXS leader Michael Hutchence to take his own life, INXS'

manager told Addicted To Noise on Friday. He "snapped," said the


longtime manager, Martha Troup. "He felt pressures and it was a


[RealAudio excerpt]."

Troup, who has managed the band on and off for 12 years, said she spoke

to Hutchence at 1 a.m. on Nov. 22, just eleven hours before he

was found hanging naked from a leather belt in his Ritz-Carlton hotel

room in Sydney, Australia. She was adamant that the 37-year-old singer's

unexpected death was

a direct result of intense emotional unrest in his personal life.

"He snapped for that momentary time," Troup said.

"I think [it was] pressures about his child, Tiger [16-month-old

Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily], and Bob Geldof [ex-husband and father of

three children by Hutchence's lover, Paula Yates], and all the escapades

that went on in the last year," Troup said, referring to the on-going,

contentious custody battle between Yates and Geldof, whom Yates left for

Hutchence three years ago. "It just reached a climax. It was the

culmination of everything, how he [Geldof] treated Paula and how he was

making his [Hutchence's] life miserable."

Troup said Yates had been scheduled to arrive in Sydney on Nov. 23,

with her three children by Geldof, as well as her daughter by Hutchence,

following a custody hearing in England on Nov. 21. The hearing,

however, was put off until Dec. 17. Yates has said that

Geldof changed his mind about allowing her to travel with the children.

Yates and Hutchence had hoped to spend the Christmas holiday with the

children in Australia, before Hutchence was to have embarked with INXS on the

group's (now-canceled) 20th anniversary tour -- the "Lose Your Head" tour

-- of Australia.

"It was a culmination of all the things that happened all year," Troup said,

referring to the singer's death. "Michael was upset with the way the whole

relationship was and what kind of person he [Geldof] was and how Geldof

treated Paula and the children."

When asked about reports that Hutchence's death was the accidental result of

auto-erotic asphyxiation, an often deadly sex ritual in which the brain is

deprived of oxygen in an attempt to heighten sexual stimulation, Troup

said the reports were not true. "I can say unequivocally that that's not it,"

she said. "Absolutely not. The detectives' report will come out and it was

absolutely not that. I've spent more time with detectives than I care to in

the last two weeks, and the detectives explained it a bunch of ways. I'm

no expert, but there was no semen, nothing in any part of the room,

on Michael, near Michael, on the bed, anywhere. That I can 100 percent


On Thursday, Senior Constable Mark Hargreaves of the New South Wales

Police's media unit told Addicted To Noise, "There is nothing to


foul play, auto-eroticism, or whatever you want to call it."

Troup said soon-to-be-revealed evidence will make the circumstances of

the apparent suicide much clearer. The New South Wales state coroner has

confirmed that the cause of Hutchence's death was hanging. Death by

suicide, however, has not yet been confirmed, pending toxicology tests. The

results of those tests will be released on Dec. 15.

Troup said that there were two more calls from Hutchence after speaking

with him at 1 a.m. on Nov. 22: One to the New York-based

office of her Entertainment Consulting Company and the other to her home,

neither of which she was able to pick up. "He was in a brilliant mood

when I spoke to him," she said of their final, early morning

conversation. "He was talking about film things, and he'd read a script.

Just the second I got on the phone he was 'Martha I love you,' just

lovable, lovable, lovable. And he was very excited that day from

rehearsal and he felt it was really going well. He was happy. He loved

Australia, he loved it." [Mon., Dec. 8, 1997, 9

a.m. PST]