Former Death Row Records CEO Marion "Suge" Knight turned himself in to authorities early Friday morning (Jan. 30) for questioning after a deadly hit-and-run incident on Thursday afternoon on the Compton, California, set of the N.W.A. biopic.
According to the Los Angeles Times, Knight was arrested on suspicion of murder after allegedly running over two men in his truck following an argument on the set. The 49-year-old former music executive arrived for questioning at the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department West Hollywood station with his legal counsel, James E. Blatt, around 12:30 a.m. PT to speak to homicide detectives.
A spokesperson for the Sheriff's Department confirmed for MTV News on Friday morning that following his arrest Knight was booked at the West Hollywood station on suspicion of murder around 3 a.m. PT and is currently being held on $2 million bail.
The Times reported that the confrontation on the "Straight Outta Compton" set began around 3 p.m. when Knight got into an argument with two unidentified men. Shortly after the alleged argument, the victims went to a nearby Tam's Burgers, where Knight is believed to have followed them in his truck and then run them over in the parking lot. Witnesses told police that the truck hit the men, backed over them and then fled the scene.
"So far, people we talked to said it looked like it was an intentional act. So we're handling it as a homicide," Los Angeles Police Lt. John Corina told CNN. "It looks like he drove backward and struck the victims. And then went forward and struck them again as he left."
UPDATE: On Friday morning, Blatt told the Times that Knight was "fleeing for his life" when the two men were run over after a group of men allegedly attacked his client and threatened Knight's life. Blatt said the unidentified men were "attempting to drag him [Knight] outside of the vehicle when he made an effort to escape... in fear for his life."
CNN identified the victim as Terry Carter, 55, who died as a result of his injuries. A second man, Cle Sloan, 51, suffered undisclosed injuries. One of the victims is believed to have been a member of the film crew. Blatt said his client was attacked by a group of men and accidentally ran over the victims while trying to flee the attack.
It's unclear what, if any, tie Knight has to the filming of the movie, which chronicles the rise and fall of the legendary Compton, Cali., rap group N.W.A., which featured famed producer Dr. Dre, who co-founded Death Row Records with Knight in 1991. Former N.W.A. members Dre and Ice Cube and Compton rapper Game were all reportedly on the set of the promotional shoot for the film earlier in the day, but not when the fight took place.
Knight has a lengthy rap sheet, including a nine-year prison sentence in 1997 for violating his probation from an earlier assault case. After his release in 2001, he was sent back to jail in 2003 for violating parole for punching a parking lot attendant. He was arrested in 2008 in Las Vegas on suspicion of aggravated assault and drug possession and was shot last August inside a Hollywood club during a party hosted by Chris Brown.