Art by Julia Panek
Going to concerts is big fun! Fun that will commence right about now in New York City at the 2014 CMJ Music Marathon. A weeklong music fest such as this means a few things: 1.) Tons of music (duh), 2.) Long nights (Mm-hmmm), 3.) Copious opportunities to act like a pain in A to the double S while partaking in all that music during those long nights.
Yup, show etiquette is a lost art -- or at least one that might require a brush-up in most music lovers' books -- which is why MTV has a complied a handy concert manners guide below. Whip it out if you're hitting up CMJ in NYC this week, or if you're a living, breathing person who sometimes sees live music and doesn't want to be a pariah.
See ya in the pit!
1. Don't Film The Entire Show With Your Smartphone
2. And If You Must, At Least Hold Your Phone Correctly
3. Don't Talk Incessantly During A Show
4. And If You Sing Along, Make Sure You're Not Louder Than The Band
5. Dance. Don't Just Stand There
6. And If You're Super Tall, Don't Stand -- Or Dance -- In The Front
7. Crowdsurfers: Aim For People Your Own Size
8. And Everyone Should Watch Their Elbows
9. And Their Drinks -- Take A Gulp Before You Head Into The Pit
10. Have A Rad Time Because You're At A Show And Also Not Dead Yet