For a show about zombies, "The Walking Dead" doesn't feature an overwhelming amount of zombie-killing action. Instead, its character-driven focus is what keeps fans coming back for more, and for no other character more so than Norman Reedus' Daryl Dixon.
Because it's only a matter of time before a new death rumor surrounds everyone's favorite crossbow-toting badass, we'll need these moments to keep us warm for the bleak, zombie-filled season ahead.
1. That Time Daryl Ka-Thunked His First Crossbow Bolt
It was so many moons ago when we saw Daryl use his crossbow on a Walker for the first time, but he won our hearts immediately with an exasperated "Come on, people. What the hell?" before loosing a bolt into a stray Walker's head after he caught it snacking on his felled dear. Bless.
2. That Time With The Cherokee Rose
We could not deal with this Daryl moment. When Sophia was missing, he gifted Carol with a Cherokee Rose and told her:
"It’s a Cherokee Rose. The story is that when American soldiers were moving Indians off their land on the Trail of Tears, the Cherokee mothers were grieving and crying so much ’cause they were losing their little ones along the way from exposure and disease and starvation. A lot of them just disappeared. So the elders, they said a prayer; asked for a sign to uplift the mothers’ spirits, give them strength and hope. The next day this rose started to grow where the mothers’ tears fell.
"I’m not fool enough to think there’s any flowers blooming for my brother. But I believe this one bloomed for your little girl.”
Byeee crying forever.
3. That Time Daryl Put Dale Out Of His Misery
When Rick couldn't do the deed, Daryl stepped in to take care of business and put Dale out of his misery after he was ripped apart by a Walker. This was one of many moments which solidified Daryl's place as Rick's right-hand man, and our bringer of tears.
4. Any Of The Times Daryl Brandished His Crossbow
5. That Time Daryl Licked His Fingers
I'M NOT SORRY.
6. That Time Daryl Held Judith, Smiling, And Our Ovaries Exploded...
7. ...Followed By His Face Totally Falling After Carl Mentioned Sophia
We're ruined. Carl, you never mention the S-word! Gosh!
8. That Time Daryl Proved That A Crossbow Isn't His Only Asset In A Fight
What a BAMF.
9. That Time Daryl Was Just Straight Up Sick Of Walkers
Seriously, Walkers -- you're noisy. SMH.
10. That Time Daryl Told Beth To Keep Singing:
Aw. Such a change from that time Daryl angrily told Beth that nobody wanted to hear her sing. This was such a cute Bethyl moment. Daryl, you big softie.
11. That Time Daryl Made Smoking Look Cool
(Don't smoke, kids! Unless you're in a post-apocalyptic situation, in which case do whatever.)
12. That Time Rick Called Daryl His "Brother"
After escaping from Joe and his merry band of murderers in season four, Rick called Daryl his "brother." Look at his earnest face. Look at Daryl's sad, hung head. OMG, our hearts.
13. That Time Daryl And Beth Held Hands
And Bethyl shippers around the world cheered as Caryl shippers booed and hissed.
14. Daryl's Heartbreaking Reaction To Carol's Banishment
Nooooo. Rick, how could you have done this to Daryl?! YOUR BROTHER?
15. That Time Daryl Corrected Merle
Back in season one, Daryl called Glenn a "Chinaman." (Rude!) In a beautiful moment of character development, Daryl corrected his brother in season three when Merle called Glenn "Chinese." Love. It.
16. That Time Daryl Was Forced To Kill Merle
Oh man, what a sad moment. While nobody else was sad to see Merle go, nothing was more heartbreaking than watching Daryl stagger back and hit the ground crying after being forced to kill his own brother when Merle went full Walker in season three.
17. That Time Daryl Got Aaaall Up In Bob's Face
Daryl's harder edges may have softened over time, but that's only because he cares so much for his fellow travelers. When Bob risked everyone's life for a little whiskey, Daryl didn't mind telling him in no uncertain terms that he was going to get his ass beat and fed to Walkers if he continued being so selfish.
So, what was your favorite Daryl moment over the past four seasons? Anything you're dying to add? Drop a comment below!